What is Agnes Scott like?

I can’t go on a tour there, due to both the pandemic and a lack of money. So, I’m really interested in hearing from current students, people who went there, and people who went on tours.

What’s their English department like? How’s their English major? What about their foreign language and history departments?

What’s the campus like? Is the weather more sunny or rainy? What are the dorms like? What about the food?

Were you admitted already? Mind if I add a question to yours? I’m fact finding for my junior daughter and was also wondering what it’s like there? Does it have a “Southern” culture? I’m from the South so I don’t mean that in a bad way…just wondering if the vibe is different from women’s colleges in other areas of the country.

I’m a Junior too! So no, I’ve not been admitted. I can recommend some schools though.

If you want a southern culture, may I recommend Berea College in Kentucky? I lived there a few summers ago and have been going on tours there with my school since the sixth grade. It was amazing!

They have days where they serve Cajun food and catfish, which is something I haven’t seen any other college do. The campus is very safe (it’s located in the middle of the town with the hospital literally a five-minute walk from campus and security checkpoints scattered throughout where you can push a button and campus security comes) and not to mention absolutely gorgeous.

All of the buildings are brick and it gives off such a rustic feel that I can’t begin to explain it, while the insides feel modern and updated. The entire campus, at least to me, felt coordinated because all of the buildings share a similar architecture on the outside. Not to mention that most of the campus is populated by flowers native to Kentucky, and seeing rabbits or squirrels while you walk isn’t uncommon. People nearby tend to walk their dogs, and they’re really friendly!

My biggest gripe is that the campus is a tad small (at least when you first see it), and half of the town is actually not seen at first. You have to go down a bit to get to fast food places. But small campuses are pretty common in Kentucky. I highly recommend the school, because it is free. They have a program where if you are admitted, you pay no tuition but you do have to do a work-study. They explain it better than I ever could.

I also recommend Belmont in Nashville. Again, it has an absolutely gorgeous campus and has amazing food. They are larger than Berea and are in the middle of Nashville. From my tour there, I heard students regularly talk about attending school concerts with country stars… Gonna be honest, they talked a lot about the fact that country stars come to their campus. I don’t know where it is at, but the campus was apparently made from an old rich person’s home, and in a spot on campus there are these amazing statues of Greek Gods and Goddesses. If you go on a tour there, see it. It was the highlight of my tour. I also got to eat at one of the campus halls, and the food was amazing.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. My daughter actually isn’t looking for southern culture, we’ve lived all over the US and Asia and she doesn’t love the vibe of some southern places - Little Rock for example. Again, no offense, my husband and I are both from the South. That’s why I asked about Agnes Scott, seems like it could be a good fit otherwise. Good luck to you as you explore more. Hopefully someone else will read this and benefit from your helpful descriptions!

Well, I still highly recommend Berea College for literally anyone because of its tuition free premise.