What is "coveted 'n+1' housing"?

<p>I saw a reference to "coveted 'n+1' housing" in the Crimson article about transfer students, </p>

<p>The</a> Harvard Crimson :: News :: As Freshmen Move In, Transfers Crowded Out </p>

<p>and I don't know what that term means. Maybe the term won't be used anymore if the option ceases to exist.</p>

<p>n is the number of students in the suite. In an n+1 suite, there are enough rooms for every student to have a single, plus there is a common room.</p>

<p>D's class ('08) was the last class at Winthrop to get n+1. This year's juniors were especially bummed at the announcement. And it came right before Housing Day (which was yesterday) and made it a little harder to get enthusiastic about painting your face in House colors and getting out there to cheer for good ol' Winthrop. In the end though they put on a decent showing for the sake of the new House members.</p>

<p>It's truly unfortunate that Winthrop lost some of their best housing, especially since it's all the admissions office's fault for letting in to damn many people. I know it sounds ridiculous to say that they're letting in too many people when our acceptance rate is so low, but there's a definite cap to the number of students we can house and the admissions office exceeded that number for the classes of 2009, 2010, and 2011.
The good news is that the housing 'crunch' is going to get progressively better starting with this next class. The admissions office has been given a strict cap for the class of 2012, and as new classes enter and old bloated ones leave, we'll get back to normal.
Moral of the story, it's only for a few years.</p>

<p>Yay, less people accepted to Harvard!</p>

<p>I wonder how low the cap on the initial accept rate (before waitlist) is. 7.2% seem reasonable?</p>