What is it with Michelle Bachmann's eyes? (not political)

<p>This is really truly honestly not a "slam Michelle Bachmann" thread. I saw her on the Today Show and even in that interview, she had a "wild eyed" look. What is it that causes that? Do her eyes open wider than average? Do her eyes show more of their whites? Does she focus on a different place on the interviewer's face or the camera than most people?</p>

<p>This is an actual, non-pejorative question. I'm not the most observant person in the world, so I can't figure what it is.</p>

<p>I'm interested in this sort of thing because I have very small eyes that do not open very wide and I've endured a lifetime of being accused of looking disinterested or sleepy. I read some marketing person's newsletter that said that in marketing materials, people with larger eyes are perceived more positively. (So I am hosed.) </p>

<p>It's fascinating to me to think that character qualities can, to this day, be attributed to someone based on their eyes. I remember old movies talking about criminals having eyes that were too close together.</p>

<p>I've seen people with this look before and they, sometimes have a thyroid issue that makes their eyes bulge a bit. Or they're crazy.</p>

<p>Could it be attributed to the type of contact lenses she wears? She doesn't seem to blink very often, almost forcing her eyes to open wide. (Not intended to be a slam.)</p>

<p>Runaway Bride.</p>

<p>I agree EPTR - I look at her and I think "Graves Disease."</p>

<p>I discounted the Newsweek cover as just them digging for an intentionally unflattering photo. But then she does have the same look on live TV, giving a stump speech, etc. Is it really a buldge?</p>

<p>Ramona on RHWofNYC</p>

<p>I think her eyes bug out because she is certifiably insane. (Not political.)</p>

<p>She appears to wear rather heavy false eyelashes - that may be part of the issue.</p>

<p>missypie, when I first heard about the Newsweek cover fuss and saw it, I thought what's the big deal? That's really how she looks. There really is something odd with her eyes. But the headline was off-base and so I could see where people thought they picked a particularly bug-eyed pic of her. I think they could have found a more-flattering pic, one where she wasn't looking straight at the camera because her eyes ARE unusual.</p>

<p>mp - I had the exact same reaction to the Newsweek cover. trying to be charitable, my next thought was possible early Graves disease. do her eyes look like that in older pictures?</p>

<p>CJ- I have not looked at Michelle as I get my news on the radio not TV, but I , too, thought of Ramona with those crazy eyes. DO MB's shift around uncomfortably all the time, too?</p>

<p>I think I just answered my own question. If you look at pictures circa 2008, she has pretty droopy eyelids (not casting aspersions here - I suffer from the same). My guess is she has some kind of cosmetic surgery - brow lift? eyelid reduction? - that wasn't done particularly well. Which is partly why I haven't tried it - I just want to look like my younger, less tired self, not unnaturally wide-eyed.</p>

<p>I think part of the issue is the false eyelashes, as suggested by mathmom. I've seen videos of her speaking and wondered how she manages to raise and lower them. Maybe her eyelids are very strong from this workout?</p>

<p>I do think the Newsweek cover photo was deliberately chosen to be unflattering and to cause controversy. There are plenty of photos in which she looks beautiful. I wish the media would just allow her, and others, to present their ideas for the voters to judge, rather than trying to bias people in this way.</p>

<p>Maybe weird eyes go with women in politics somehow. I think Hillary Clinton's eyes are open too wide most of the time, and Nancy Pelosi hardly ever blinks.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you look at pictures circa 2008, she has pretty droopy eyelids (not casting aspersions here - I suffer from the same). My guess is she has some kind of cosmetic surgery - brow lift? eyelid reduction? - that wasn't done particularly well. Which is partly why I haven't tried it - I just want to look like my younger, less tired self, not unnaturally wide-eyed.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I think we have a winner!!! I have very droopy skin above my lids. So much so that I actually scheduled a lift, then cancelled the appointment, being afraid of having "that look." Ms. Bachman was probably getting droopy, and read the same marketing materials about bigger eyes being more positively received and went for it.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Maybe weird eyes go with women in politics somehow. I think Hillary Clinton's eyes are open too wide most of the time, and Nancy Pelosi hardly ever blinks

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Or maybe women in politics who have had eye work done!</p>

<p>Eye lift! That makes sense. My father-in-law had it done because his eyelids were actually interfering with his vision, and now he looks mildly surprised all the time.</p>

<p>Whenever you see the white part of someone's eye, ABOVE their iris, they look crazy. She must have had a too-vigorous lift.</p>

<p>I've been thinking all along she's had a facelift. She just has "that look." if you start paying close attention, it becomes relatively easy to spot when someone has had plastic surgery.</p>

<p>Nancy Pelosi has definitely had a facelift.</p>