What is more important to a Law School?

<p>I was wondering what a law school looks at more. I am going to major in political science and have been accepted to UC San Diego and UCLA. While UCSD has a much higher ranked political science program, UCLA is obviously the more prestigious school. Since I am only using my major as a sort of springboard to law school, I was wondering what a law school would be more concerned with, a particular programs prestige (Poli Sci at UCSD) or the overall prestige of the entire school?</p>

<p>Prestige of the school would trump program prestige.</p>

<p>Also, a lot of kids think that being a political science major will help, or as you put it, springboard them to law school, and that's just not the case. Law schools aren't going to give preferential treatment to political science majors, so my best advice would be to choose a major that you truly enjoy and to do well. Another thing, studies have shown that political science majors only score slightly above average on the LSAT. Usually philosophy, economics, history and english majors have the highest LSAT scores</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sjsu.edu/philosophy/Resources/Pre-Law/Why/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.sjsu.edu/philosophy/Resources/Pre-Law/Why/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Your major and undergrad school aren't much of a big deal. The higher your GPA (after adjustment to counter grade inflation/deflation) and LSAT, the better your chances of getting into a T14 law program. However,the rigorous critical analysis done through the course of fulfilling the requirements for a philosophy major would likely help you think in a manner that helps you do well on the LSAT. Remember, though, that correlation DOES NOT imply causation. </p>

<p>The underwater basketweaving major with a 168 LSAT has no less of a shot at getting into HYS than the polisci major with the same score.</p>

<p>@ thetrumpet070</p>

<p>It helps you do extremely well in your courses (high GPA) and on the LSAT. School prestige comes next the more competitive the law schools you apply.</p>