What is the difference between a direct transfer and an internal transfer?

<p>I keep on seeing these words tossed around but I am not sure what they exactly imply.</p>

<p>What is the difference between direct transfer and internal transfer if a student is already within Cornell and wants to transfer from one branch to another?</p>

<p>What is the earliest time a student can transfer, if he/she chooses to? Does the time period differ from direct transfers to internal transfers?</p>

<p>I heard that internal transfers have to wait a year. Is this true?</p>

<p>Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>Cornell</a> Internal Transfer Division</p>

<p>this will answer everything you need to know....but...you just got into Cornell. Enjoy your acceptance and worry about transferring once you get here.</p>

<p>save these questions for when you actually take an ILR class first</p>

<p>my god...how annoying. Stop thinking about transferring so much and give ILR a chance.</p>

<p>I gave the info to be helpful....but you were just accepted to Cornell. If you're so concerned about transferring now, without even giving ILR a chance....maybe you shouldn't come here. There are plenty of applicants who will be deferred....applicants who really want to be here....maybe you should decline your offer of admission so another deserving applicants can be given your spot.</p>

<p>just my 2 cents....</p>

<p>i already told him cornell isn't for people like him</p>

<p>give splintercell a break if he feels like another school in cornell will suit him better so be it.</p>

<p>I applied to NYU (CAS) and got accepted (with my intended major as econ.) But now I'm thinking i should have applied to stern. It is ok to be confused and if he wants to explre his options that is up to him.</p>

<p>splintercell If I was you I would talk to a cornell counslor directly and see what they suggest.</p>

<p>it's not a matter of ILR suiting him well. It's a matter of "what does everybody else think? Am I prestigious enough?" that's making him want to transfer immediately if not sooner.</p>

<p>Guys. I am sorry for my previous statements. I truly am. The prestige factor used to motivate me greatly but this was because of the way I was brought up. However, my parents told me that they didn't care what school I go to or what I major in, because to them as long as I am happy, they will be too. </p>

<p>I will try ILR. There is no problem with that. I was just wondering if since I don't want to go into law anymore if it suits me well still. I am not so sure abour HR Management and thus was wondering if I could get an econ degree from aRTS and Sci. (Ideally I could stay in ILR and double major but that isn't possible.)</p>

<p>Please Tun and Gomestar, I mean no disrespect. I am just confused an exploring my options. I like Cornell A LOT, and even though I have been accepted to NYU Stern this week, I am still leaning towards Cornell/ILR.</p>

<p>I am just scared that I won't get a job after graduation....that is why I am asking all these questions.</p>

<p>So please can someone just answer how long a direct transfer takes? (Like after first year or after first semester?) Because if I can't transfer at all, and I don't want to go itno HR/law, then perhaps ILR, despite its prestige and Ivy Status, isn't for me.</p>

<p>You can apply for internal transfer after your first semester.</p>

<p>Thank tun but hopefully I won't have to. Everyone claims the ILR is good so maybe I will like it.</p>

<p>It is just that the lack of math and science courses scares me that I won't get good jobs in business. But whatever, I am sure things will work out.</p>

<p>By the way, in college, specifically Cornell, in science classes, do we have lab partners?</p>

<p>don't know about gen bio and gen chem.....but you're on your own in orgo and a microbio....although in microbio you collaborate on a few labs. In orgo you can talk to your neighbor....but you're pretty much on your own.</p>

<p>"I was just wondering if since I don't want to go into law anymore if it suits me well still. I am not so sure abour HR Management and thus was wondering if I could get an econ degree from aRTS and Sci."</p>

<p>Take a look at career placement for ILR, HR only represents a small portion. Please don't think that your career options are either law or HR - it'd be a big mistake. </p>

<p>"It is just that the lack of math and science courses scares me that I won't get good jobs in business"</p>

<p>Here's an idea: take some math and science classes at Cornell. Why do you think you can't? You're falling into a terrible (but typical trap) of "I have to take exactly X classes or major in Y in order to get the job I want". My experience tells me this is completely false and any alumni would agree with me. I know an art history major who now works at goldman sachs for cryin' out loud. Majoring in econ will not open any more doors than ILR will - the only exception might be for a PhD program, but there's a poster on here who did ILR undergrad and is now at an ultra-prestigious business school for an econ PhD (right out of undergrad). </p>

<p>"I am just scared that I won't get a job after graduation"</p>

<p>That's up to you, bro, really. Statistics show ILR places exceptionally well, but the decision to hire isn't ever going to be "well, did he go to ILR or did he major in econ?" ... it's going to be how well did this kid do, how did he take advantage of what's available to him, what experience does he have, and how well does he interview.</p>

<p>my friends who graduated from ILR were accepted into amazing law schools or have awesome jobs in NYC.</p>

<p>Getting a good job out of college is up to you and only you.</p>

<p>you don't need to worry about the internal transfer through ITD if you get decent enough grades during your first semester or two at Cornell (so, if you get a 3.5+ dont even bother worrying about the ITD, because I didn't)</p>

<p>gomestar: I love ILR and would love to attend, however you have to admit carerres are limited.</p>

<p>I did take a look at placement, but still if somone feels that ILR is not right for them they should have the option to transfer without being critisized</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up guys. Again, I truly am sorry for my line of questioning before. It seemed disrespectful and offensive. I will admit, however, that I do to a certain degree care about "prestige"/what society will think of me. I am working on managing that.</p>

<p>ILR is awesome, not simply because it is Ivy Leage but because it offers diverse pathways. And thanks gomestar for telling me all that. </p>

<p>Hope to see you there next fall. No hard feelings right man? (If there is, I can understand.)</p>

<p>The "hard feelings" depends on whether or not you listen to the experienced people on these boards who have "been there done that" or your high school buddies and their stigmas. </p>

<p>You wont see me on campus, sorry. I'll be on Wall Street. And for reference, the only place where my diploma says "industrial and labor relations" is right below the signature of the ILR school's dean. </p>

<p>"gomestar: I love ILR and would love to attend, however you have to admit carerres are limited"</p>

<p>ILR</a> Undergraduate Admissions: What Graduates Do</p>

<p>yeah, that looks limited all right. All from one not so typical major. </p>

<p>"but still if somone feels that ILR is not right for them they should have the option to transfer without being critisized"</p>

<p>There's a fine line between not being a good fit and thinking you shouldn't go because others might not think it's "prestigious enough" or the wrong thinking that an employer might not consider it "the real ivy league Cornell".</p>