What is the political leaning of Rice?

<p>At the start of this year; Rice was basically not on my college list (urged by my counselor aggressively, Arkansas ftl). Now; Rice has become one of my if not my favorite school. So, what is the political leaning of Rice? Since its in Texas, I am afraid of going to a school filled with diehard Republicans. My political leaning is liberal statist; which is the complete opposite of conservative republicans.</p>

<p>Of course; i'll visit the school if I get accepted. But I have been to Houston many times; its an okay city.</p>

<p>I know that I am in range for rice admission, but certainly is not a safe match school. So there is no need for chance.</p>

<p>Also; would my counselor being in the Rice Recommender Circle (Some letter from Rice, not sure about the content, but this is probably why she is pushing so hard for Rice) add any noticeable weight to my application?</p>

<p>Liberal to moderate. That part of Houston is not conservative. You will meet a range of people, though.</p>

<p>I don't know anything about the Rice Recommender Circle. I do know that both my kids are liberal athiests, and are very happy at Rice. Re: Houston; parts of it are not so nice, and there is way too much traffic - but the parts by Rice are lovely..</p>

<p>I was told by almost all of the students I talked to that Rice is split down the middle.</p>

<p>Split down the middle by college standards, perhaps, which still means a liberal tendency.</p>

<p>Definitely much more diverse (read: less liberal) than the Ivies. But in general, Rice students are quite apathetic politically. There are all the political groups you would except (Dems, Reps., Libertarians, choice/pro-life, ACLU etc), but I think it's fair to say there isn't much political activism on campus at all--guess we're too busy studying.</p>

<p>I agree, gloaming. A lot of Rice students are just plain busy. But apart from that, I honestly don't see why it matters what the average political leaning of a college is. Unless you want to go into political science or history maybe. Well, that has to do with the faculty. Yep, I have no idea. </p>

<p>I have met plenty of very liberal people, but not really any conservatives.</p>

<p>Rice has almost none of the political activism that you'd associate with 1960s Berkley - students marching across campus, holding rallies, etc. But I wouldn't define most Rice students as apathetic at all - there are some people who just want to do their problem sets so that they can get a nice comfortable job as a chemical engineer at Shell or BP, but the vast majority of people that I know are very interested in the world outside campus. Most people have a some issue that could be considered political that they're very educated about and deeply committed to (such as my environmental science friends studying hydrology and how to fight global warming or those of us interning at the Baker Institute for Public Policy on campus or in DC over the summer). There aren't that many people who are following every bill that's proposed in DC or keeping up with every word said on the presidential campaign, but I wouldn't say that we're politically apathetic.</p>

<p>^^Agree with thelonius. Apart from not rioting and holding mass protests on campus, students are by no means apathetic.</p>

<p>i think its interesting that even though the rice student body is largely liberal-leaning, as well as the faculty, the baker institute for public policy at rice is definitely conservative. (its named after james baker, who served as reagan's chief of staff and secretary of treasury, and then daddy bush's secretary of state)</p>

<p>Jiffy answer: I would say the student body at Rice, as a whole, expresses a liberal political lean. I know two conservative students:thats it. I consider myself to be split down the middle.</p>

<p>The Baker Institute is definitely not conservative-leaning. It's very non-partisan--one of the leading non-partisan think tanks in the country, in fact. Edward Djerejeian, the director of the Baker Institute, was the Ambassador to Israel under President Clinton. James Baker maintains an office in the building, but he doesn't really do much there.</p>

<p>I'll add another vote for moderately liberal. There are very liberal people and some conservatives, but most people I meet seem to be moderately liberal. </p>

<p>Just a random comment: I've seen James Baker walking in and out of the institute twice so far this year.</p>

<p>hey look. facebook gives
Political Views
47% None Listed
18% Liberal
13% Moderate
7% Conservative
5% Very Liberal
4% Other
3% Apathetic
2% Libertarian
1% Very Conservative</p>

<p>In terms of Texas schools, Rice is not nearly as liberal as UT-Austin, but much closer to UT politically than compared to, say, Baylor or Texas A&M. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that Rice students are politically apathetic.</p>

<p>my interviewer said: varied with slight liberal leaning</p>

<p>Not politically apathetic - just busy with lots of things.</p>