What jobs do College students have?

<p>Can you tell me which jobs do college students usually have during summer? I know nowadays competition is high and they want someone who has years of experience and with a bachelor's degree...I'm still in college and I only volunteered in high school...
How did you get the job? did you just go in the store and ask that you would like to work there? I tried that before and even went back cuz they did not call me back when they said they would, but then a different person told me they're not hiring at the time:// I even filled out applications with cover letters and resumes but everytime I do that no response...Seriously, how do people get the job???</p>

<p>btw, I went to the school career place and they literally said, "look it up yourself!" which I did but it was totally useless...</p>

<p>It all depends on what you're studying and where you live/are willing to live. I had a panic attack junior year about not being able to find a job after I graduated because I went to a school that really didn't help and had a below average career center located in the middle of no where -- so I transferred. Its REALLY hard to get your foot in the door -- last summer I sent out 85 applications and cover letters for summer jobs around DC. I got 2 interviews and 1 offer. </p>

<p>This summer I'm currently working two jobs -- one for experience and one for money.</p>

<p>Job 1: Nonprofit Receptionist
Got the Job: Through Summer Federal Work Study. This is probably out for you since you have to apply for consideration late in Spring Semester. </p>

<p>Job 2: Political Organization Intern
Got the Job: I've applied there for a few semesters and finally had enough experience that they considered me and gave me a job.</p>

<ul>
<li>Try craigslist (apply for anything you'd be remotely qualified for)</li>
<li>Try talking to friends and parents of friends to try and network and see if any job is available in their offices (or maybe your former supervisors when you volunteered to see if they can keep an ear out for you). No job is too low or too mundane for you right now.</li>
<li>See if your career services office in your school is still open and if they have any resources available to you (ie. my school has an online job database)</li>
<li>Review your resume so it doesn't reflect your lack of experiences.</li>
<li>Follow up religiously on every job you apply for -- it's just like applying to school -- show interest to let them know you didn't blanket-apply for jobs (even though you did.)</li>
</ul>

<p>Above all: Keep your chin up. It's frusterating as all get out because you're competing with a) recent college graduates who haven't found a 'real job' and are more qualified than you simply because they hold an expensive piece of paper b) all other college students c) high school graduates looking for their first job as well</p>

<p>Thanks...yes it IS very frustrating that companies want the applicant to have every qualities they want when you are just a student. thanks so much for your advice..!</p>

<p>That is some fantastic advice! I don't have much to add, but I am a rising sophomore. Here's what I've done:</p>

<p>Job 1: Marketing intern at a non-profit organization (previous summer and winter breaks)
Job 2: Computer repair technician (on campus, federal work-study)
Job 3: Reference librarian assistant (this summer)</p>

<p>My second job that I worked all throughout freshman year was a wonderful experience, and I'll be returning next year. Although I did work briefly for my College's institutional advancement office and they're begging me to work for them again, but my technician job is significantly more interested than paper work.</p>

<p>rising senior</p>

<p>job 1: Marketing receptionist,Vector Marketing</p>

<p>Job 2: Office Assistant, College of Arts and Science</p>

<p>job 3: Public Relations Intern, WCVB-TV Channel 5 </p>

<p>job 4: Social Media and Marketing intern, Pearsons Education</p>