What kind of scholarships/aid is everyone getting???

<p>So far, I got a $1200/yr renewable award from the Nuclear Engineering department, and a $4000 one time award from the College of Engineering. I'm not going to get any need-based grants of any sort, and I'm from Florida, so I will be paying out the butt for all eternity :-/ Hopefully I get in the CHP and get the big award for out-of-state students...doubtful but wishful thinking.</p>

<p>Also, anyone in Nuclear Engineering, Illini Towers, or going to orientation June 7th?
Heh, just trying to find some people I can meet up with at orientation, or with similar majors or housing :)</p>

<p>Don't know how the hell I got in one of the like 20 spots in Nuclear Engineering, I'm still baffled myself...</p>

<p>I am out of state too and got admitted to Chemical Engineering. But the cost is too much and I don't have stellar stats to get the scholarships. I don't know if I'll attend. Can anyone tell me, if its worth to pay 30K per year to go to this school or not?</p>

<p>im in-state but havent gotten any scholarships yet.. while people with much lower stats that me (but are minorities) are getting all sorts of minority scholarships..</p>

<p>honestly, i dont see why you would want to go here for undergrad if you're out of state.. maybe if you're a business major because it has a really good business program.</p>

<p>man, im not going to get in until May...I hope they dont run out of money for me...</p>

<p>For me, there are a number of reasons:</p>

<p>1) Location: I want something new. I can't stand Florida, and pretty much the South in general, and Illinois offers an entirely different environment.
2) Major: UIUC is one of the few schools in the country that offers Nuclear Engineering as a major. Aside from that, they have a very good engineering program, one of the best in the country.
3) Availability: I'm aware there are some other Nuclear Engineering schools in other locations I might find desirable, but some of them I simply didn't feel I would get into, including but not limited to CalTech or MIT. UIUC is a tier below that caliber school, and I DID get into this school.</p>

<p>I got $4,000 from the college of engineering</p>

<p>Their engineering program is one of the best in the nation (ranked #4 by US NEWS right behind Berkeley, Stanford, and MIT) that is the main reason I want to go there. But is it worth the money if you don't get scholarships? I know that engineers pull in a good salary after graduation but I don't want to be in a major debt.</p>

<p>Yeah I'm in the same dilemna as everyone else here.</p>

<p>I could either go to GaTech for 8k/year or I could go to UIUC for 36k (according to my F.A. packet). In terms of schooling, I would prefer the latter, but I'll have to make a crucial choice by the end of this week as to is it worth it or not.</p>

<p>farnsworth, your finaid statement really uses 36k as the cost of attendance? The finaid website has engineering (which, I think, has the highest tuition) coa of 33,872. Can you check it again and provide details on the breakdown of the costs?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I found another link that has the following:</p>

<p>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Estimated Undergraduate Expenses
for 2005-2006 (subject to change)</p>

<pre><code> Residents Non-residents
</code></pre>

<p>Tuition* and fees $8,670 $22,756
Books and supplies $950 $950
Room and board (20 meals/week) $7,176 $7,176 </p>

<p>TOTAL ESTIMATED COSTS $16,796 $30,882 </p>

<p>*Based on the Base Rate for new degree students initially enrolled after May 2005. Add approximately: </p>

<p>$1,264 per year for all programs in the College of Business;
$532 per year for all programs in the College of Fine and Applied Arts;<br>
$2,522 per year for the Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Integrative Biology, and Molecular/Cellular Biology programs in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences;
$3,162 per year for all programs in the College of Engineering; the Agricultural Engineering Science program in the College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences; and the Chemical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science†, Statistics and Computer Science†, and Physics programs in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
$500 for books and supplies in Fine and Applied Arts curricula.
† Denotes combined programs</p>

<p>Note: When determining cost to attend college, families should include individual anticipated travel and personal expenses.</p>

<p>This is what it says:</p>

<p>Tuition - 24,290
Mandatory Fees - 1582
Books, Internet, Supplies - 950
Living - 7176
Transportation - 800
Misc. Expenses - 2020</p>

<p>Total: 36,818</p>

<p>I wonder if this is accurate.</p>

<p>Hmmm. Not good. On the website for the 2005-2006 costs, they put in the disclaimer "subject to change". They should have put "not all expenses included" or something! I see they left out the transportation costs of $800 on the website and just said to allow for the anticipated costs. On your statement there is also $2020 for miscellaneous expenses that was left off the website...that's the kicker and possibly the proverbial straw.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.oar.uiuc.edu/current/pop_expensesforprospects.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.oar.uiuc.edu/current/pop_expensesforprospects.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Does anyone know when financial aid stuff is due? Especially the loan forms?</p>