What kinda printer do you have in your dorm?

<p>In my recnet housing tour at UCLA, I noticed almost everyone has a printer on his/her desk. So I think a personal printer is needed for college student.
What kinda printer do you have in your dorm?</p>

<p>You don't really need a printer. Most people can print at Powell library where printing only costs like 10cents a page. If you don't print a ton, then it isn't that big of a deal.</p>

<p>That being said, if you want a good, high quality and efficient printer, i recommend Brother laser printer. DON'T get inkjet printers. Laser printers are the ones that the libraries use, and although initially sort of expensive (~$150) you can print like 2500 pages on a cartridge, so if you print a ton, they're very convenient. </p>

<p>i recommend this:</p>

<p>Newegg.com</a> - Brother HL-2240D Compact, Personal Laser Printer with Duplex</p>

<p>EDIT: this is a good one too:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-HL2270DW-Wireless-Monochrome/dp/B00450DVDY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1305433265&sr=8-6%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-HL2270DW-Wireless-Monochrome/dp/B00450DVDY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1305433265&sr=8-6&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Brother makes great printers.</p>

<p>I have a Brother HL 2140. The starter cartridge alone lasted for 15 months, and I print out a ton of documents. It's easily saved me $200+ in ink costs.</p>

<p>I have a Risograph FR3905ui with like 4 or 5 Drums. Pretty neat...</p>

<p>I have what the Rieber computer lab has :). You get like 100 free pages for the year, which is more than enough for me as a math major. I believe it's 5 cents a page (double sided isn't extra) for B&W after that. I think color is 15 cents a page. Library printing is 10/30 a side</p>

<p>@ThisCouldBeHeavn</p>

<p>As a Math major you can also print 334 pages (about 167 front and back) every quarter for free at the PIC Lab. But, you'll have to make an account by going to the BUGS office (MS 6121) if you're not enrolled in a PIC course.</p>

<p>Also, you can print unlimited pages for free in the Engineering library by using an exploit but it's technically stealing. The quota that I get from the PIC lab is more than enough for me.</p>

<p>Does de neve plaza have a computer lab?
In my housing tour, I saw everyone has a printer on his/her desk. Why?</p>

<p>^ Yes, De Neve has one. </p>

<p>It just becomes convenient when you finish something at 4am and don't wanna go outside and don't wanna wake up about 10-15min earlier the next "day" to print. Plus, after around 12am or 1am, the only lab that's open is Rieber (the 24 hr one - but there's no proctor there after normal hours, so sometimes it runs out of paper...). </p>

<p>I actually don't have a printer. As a science-y major, there just isn't that much need to print out a lot of stuff. If you live on the Hill (on campus), they give you $5 free print credit a year for the residential labs. Not counting the print credit, I've used maybe $10 total each year (I'm in my second year now).</p>

<p>Would an engineering major require a printer? CS major or EE or CSE major? Would we require a printer?</p>

<p>
[quote]
As a Math major you can also print 334 pages (about 167 front and back) every quarter for free at the PIC Lab. But, you'll have to make an account by going to the BUGS office (MS 6121) if you're not enrolled in a PIC course.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That's true, though I always forget my password and having to go back to BUGS several times to get my account unlocked gets embarrassing. I have used it a couple times though.</p>

<p>Also as far as I know, anyone that's taking a statistics class can use the stat dept computer lab on the 9th floor of Boelter to print stuff out.</p>

<p>I have a Brother laser printer since I live off campus except mine's has a scanner added on top.</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]
Would an engineering major require a printer? CS major or EE or CSE major? Would we require a printer?

[/QUOTE]

Not really. Boelter has 2 cent printing for engineers, so that's usually good enough. Like was mentioned above, printers only really come in handy if you finish assignments after midnight or if you live off-campus.</p>

<p>I highly recommend against bringing a printer unless you think it's absolutely necessary. Like other people mentioned there are so many places to get free/cheap printing that having a printer on your desk ends up just taking a lot if space up.</p>

<p>I agree with everyone mentioning a brother laser printer....got mine for i think $40? I haven't changed the toner/ink and I have literally printed off hundreds of papers...ink jets are the biggest scam since they overcharge on the ink.</p>

<p>there are plenty of printing options on campus but hey, if you ever come across a situation where you have a paper due in 20 minutes and you have to dash to turn it in...having a printer could be a lifesaver.</p>

<p>Does the Brothers printer work both for Mac and PC's (Dell)?</p>