^^^ But god forbid you were to say “thoughts and prayers…”
@MomofWildChild - or even ‘god’ LOL! and I never say ‘thoughts and prayers’ my H says that all the time; it annoys the heck out of me!
@MomofWildChild that’s ok to text to the spouse.
But if I’m on the gurney and we were friends- I would say what the f. And then laugh. Thanks a lot.
@MomofWildChild Have you not contributed to this thread yourself?
All of us (teachers - and students) at school refer to our moms as Mom when we’re talking about them (dads/Dad too). My head spins at the thought that I could have to remember first names for everyone and who goes with who!
Med school lad and I just had a discussion last night about how he’s never going to please everyone with his bedside manner, so in general, he should just be him. The vast majority of folks love him. I’m pretty sure it will be the same with his patients too. For those who get upset at his mannerism or something he says, definitely move on and find someone more to your liking. I know there are a few kids/other teachers who don’t really care for me at school too. Such is life. One simply can’t please everyone. Even Aesop figured that out long ago.
FWIW, we also discussed reading reviews to see if there really is any substance in them, because sometimes one should modify how they say something. I learned at school to avoid “family” in my examples because some kids are stuck with cwappy parents and others have lost theirs. It’s far better to use “friends” or perhaps “clients” instead. No harm, might help.
I still hope folks don’t stop using Mom/Dad (or their equivalent) though.
I’m an OR nurse. Sometimes you actually do need “good luck” in a surgery, especially ones that are risky even for expert surgeons and anesthesiologists.
Oh no no doubt. I was thinking of that being my last thought before going under. No thanks. Say it to yourself for them. Lol.
Yes @doschicos I have contributed. I get the feeling I’m not as rabid about it as some, though.
Holy Guacamole!!!
@Nrdsb4 Yes, but should one really be reminded that their fate will be determined by luck? If you’re ever my nurse, please remind me of the skill of my surgeon.
@fencingmom, when I worked at the hospital, I knew a few surgeons who I would not let near my loved ones. I dreaded being asked by a patient or family what I thought of them. One of them, who was verbally characterized (back channel) by many nurses and surgery techs as unfit to practice, finally lost his hospital privileges when peer review recommended it. He sued the hospital and won hundreds of millions from them in a jury trial.
Really encourages honest peer review, doesn’t it?
There’s a progressive commercial about this. Nurse says surgeon is ok. Patient says I’m nervous. Doctor says he’s nervous too. Very funny ad
If someone goes in for serious surgery, I think it’s nice to put a positive spin on what everybody knows is a possibility. So, something like, “Say hi to JFK!” Or, “Tell Ava Gardner I’ll be up in a few decades.”
I knew a nurse who could get any patient to absolutely love him. He was a great nurse and very funny. He would sometimes tell a patient “just whatever you do, DON’T go into the light.” This line from Poltergeist would break the tension. I always suspected it would go very very flat if I said it.
Apropos of nothing, I have to tell @mooop that I just adore your avatar. Norman Rockwell is one of my all-time favorites.
Using acronyms when the user clearly does not know what words are being abbreviated.
People who cannot stop talking about politics.
Mispronunciations of common words (field gold instead of field goal, aks instead of ask, etc.)
Use of meaningless business buzzwords or phrases: Enterprise, change agent, partner with (when there is no partnership), etc.
Thanks VeryHappy! I originally went with American Gothic, until I noticed someone else already gad it.
@Cheeringsection I used to feel that way about aks until I read this https://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-xpm-2014-jan-19-la-oe-mcwhorter-black-speech-ax-20140119-story.html
“veggies” is pretty annoying. As are most of the colloquial terms for human breasts, especially “girls.”
LOL- I was never a fan of the term “girls” for breasts, but it wasn’t as bad as its counterpart- the “boys”!