“No problem.”
Like when a coffee shop guy gives me $3 back on a $10 and it should be $4 back and I point that out, and the guy says “no problem” and gives me the right change.
“No problem.”
Like when a coffee shop guy gives me $3 back on a $10 and it should be $4 back and I point that out, and the guy says “no problem” and gives me the right change.
I totally agree that “ no problem” shouldn’t substitute for the only thing that should have been said in that situation which is “I’m sorry”. I don’t agree with other on this board that think “no problem” is never an appropriate substitute for “ you’re welcome”
Very interesting @maya54. Thanks for sharing.
And I agree that it works in both cases.
trite and overused:
surreal
no worries
guilty of using “my bad” but it was the 90s
@Cheeringsection
Regarding “aks”, the word (ax) is actually having a long history, as you can see in this article https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/people-have-been-saying-ax-instead-ask-1200-years-180949663/
“It is not a new thing; it is not a mistake," he says. “It is a regular feature of English.”
Sheidlower says you can trace “ax” back to the eighth century. The pronunciation derives from the Old English verb “acsian.” Chaucer used “ax.” It’s in the first complete English translation of the Bible (the Coverdale Bible): " 'Axe and it shall be given.”
I am sure people have talked about the filler words “like” and “so”, it bothers me to the point that I could not understand what the speaker was talking about if I started to noticing his/her many “likes”, and I told my DS to pay attention to speakers on the radio and to notice the difference between good and bad speakers, and telling him that it is perfectly OK to have pauses in between sentences/phrases.
“It is what it is”
“You know what I mean.”
Yes, you just told me three seconds earlier. Lol.
Lawyers get a lot of grief about using “legalese” (which I tend to not do), but I’m telling you- my business people at work are much worse! We “partner” and “leverage” and “unpack”.
I hate when like is used as a filler but I also dislike it when people don’t recognize its linguistically helpful “I’m exaggerating here to make a point” use.
My grandmother, a teacher, was so obsessed with the “filler” problem she’d fail to recognize the advantage of the word in “Its like 100 degrees outside” or “ Sara’s has like 20 brothers”
FASFA
When I lived in Philadelphia, I heard “ax” all the time from professional colleagues (at the major consulting firm where I worked). I assumed it was part of the Philly native dialect, just as my midwestern relatives say “warsh” and my Western Kentucky relatives say “needs done” and “I gave $25 for that.” I find the regional variations interesting, not annoying.
When I was in training to be a naval officer, the chief petty officer who taught shiphandling rules & procedures was from Boston. For the class session in which “rudder orders” were explained, another instructor substituted for him. Apparently previous students had cracked up over repeated explanations of “wight standahd wuddah,” “wight full wuddah,” etc.
“easy peasy”
“any who”
“leveling the playing field” is way overused.
“full ride”
Comfort animal
“conversate”. That’s NOT a word!!
Arbitrator
“Arbitrator”
I don’t understand. As opposed to what?