What phrases or things are like nails on a blackboard to you?

I’s.

John and I’s brownies.

HGTV and TLC shows that, after each commercial break, back up two or three minutes so they can rehash or even directly repeat exactly what happened before the commercial break. They must think the viewers have absolutely no short-term memory. I joke that there are some awesome half hour shows that have been padded that way to become boring hour-long shows.

^Good one! We always tape those shows so we can zip through the ads and rehashing. It doesn’t take very long to watch them that way.

The bottom line…somehow it never is because they just keep on talking.

Years ago we had a poster who always referred to her husband as “the hubster” (auto-correct just made that “the hustler”) and that probably irritated me more than anything I’ve ever read or heard! She did a lot of other annoying things, too, but “hubster” was the worst. That word took off more since that time!

I worked with a draftsman who always referred to his wife as “SHE” in kind of a sarcastic tone. It was the oddest thing. I don’t think he ever used her name. He didn’t like women very much. Looking back on it, for reasons other than how he referred to his wife, I probably should have talked to HR about him. But I was a brand new engineer and didn’t want to rock the boat.

It really irks me when someone ends their thought or idea with the word PERIOD.

That just screams to me, end of conversation and my idea or thought is the only one that matters.

@HarrietMWelsch why don’t you like female instead of woman or girl? I don’t like an adult female being called a girl - it seems demeaning, and woman sounds old to me. So I opt for female instead.

As far as almost every other thing listed, I totally agree.

@sryrstress Do people say husband or wife when they aren’t married??? I didn’t know that!

My wife uses girl for herself, as well as for most any female age 10, 30, or 90. But my wife is a very confidant woman.
She now has me in the habit of it, too.
We understand though that some others are offended by it so we try to be thoughtful.

If, like me, you’ve been reading reviews of the last Game of Thrones episode (“The Bells”) you are probably sick and tired of the words “penultimate” and “arc.”

I’m just tired of Game of Thrones talk in general. :smiley:

Surprised “gal” hasn’t shown up yet…

British accent.

Unbreakable.

You can’t miss it. (Wanna bet?)

Non-essential personnel. (I don’t mind the phrase as much as the bloated bureaucracies that employ thousands of people who aren’t necessary. PERIOD.)

British accent? The British might disagree about who speaks with an accent - 'cause they have the first dibs on the language. :wink:

@deborahb, because woman and girl are nouns. Female’s an adjective.

On top of that, people (maybe just in certain regions) tend to use it as a diminisher: “that female cut me off at the intersection.” And I’ve almost never heard anybody call a man a “male” in similar situations.

British accent is objectionable because there are such different accents in Britain.

" because woman and girl are nouns. Female’s an adjective."

And a noun, as well.

Born and raised on Long Island.

Nothing gets under my skin more than a thick Lawng Eye-lin accent.

@doschicos, yes, that’s true, as the scientific word for the female of the species. Woman and girl refer to female humans. Female can be used with any living thing that has gender.

Nine times out of ten, when I hear someone choose to use “female” as a noun, it’s their way of taking one step back from saying “witch” with a b. It’s a way of reducing a woman to her reproductive parts and abilities.

Hey, this is a thread about little things that irritate us, right? Plenty of phrases that people have their backs up about don’t really bother me - in fact I’ve been kind of shocked by some people’s responses, but mostly amused by the way language moves and flows around this country.

If a woman cuts a guy off at an intersection, he’s likely going to use a word far more demeaning than “female” when he recounts the story. Just sayin’.