What phrases or things are like nails on a blackboard to you?

THIS^^

^^This.

“A can of whoopass” and variants thereof.

Trendy word of the year: Conflate. (Most people don’t know what it means and are using it in place of “confuse.”)

“Penultimate” & “existential” are also words that get thrown around by people who don’t seem to know what they mean.

“shoe-in” used to mean “shoo-in.”

“For all intensive purposes” used for “for all intents and purposes.”

The irony of this thread’s name… I just used the “fingernails on a chalkboard” analogy around my kids, and they don’t know what it means. ?

Yes, I work with someone who thinks penultimate is super ultimate, not second to the last.

‘Conflate’ and “ penultimate” are words that layers use ( correctly) all the time so I never think about these words being anything other than common but I guess they aren’t.

when do people say/use “I seen?”
I live in California and have never heard that.>>>>>>>>

Interesting. It is an online friend who is a CA native who says this. LOL.
(I cringe every time)
@mathmom , I admit to saying “It is what it is” and used it all the time when I was at work. It was expressing that there was absolutely zero we could do to change the situation and in its way, it helped accept that.
My dad always said of difficult times “This, too, shall pass”. So far I have not seen anyone mention that one.
I love this thread!

Something that does grate on my nerves is when newscasters use the term “cops” instead of “police”. I’m not sure why but “cops” seems kind of a pejorative to me. There is no Cop Academy. The term cop makes me think of someone who would rough you up. The term police makes me think of someone who is there to help you. When a radio station says that the “cops” did such and such I want to yell at the radio “it’s the POLICE!”.>>>>>>

Well, point taken but cop is an acronym…constable on patrol.

^That is so wild. My book club was just discussing this Friday night when someone said a police officer told her that “cop” is not appreciated. We were wondering about the origin of the term - thanks!

Imagine in the 1800’s and the use of “okay” ramping up. Now it’s one of the most used words in our language. I’ll bet there were plenty of people who disliked that new word.
Someone here won’t like my use of “ramping” probably. :smiley: I admit it is incorrect.

Impactful

“Do you know how fast you were going?”

“And you thought that would be deductible?”

“Say it like you mean it.”

“Do you have another credit card?”

“We’re going to need that receipt.”

“Can I take a look in your trunk?”

“Unfortunately that’s not covered by your policy.”

“Yeah, that’s him.”

“Just one more question…”

Things I’ve heard many times, & have learned never to believe:

“There are no stupid questions.”

“But they do it that way in Sweden & there are no problems.”

“It’s perfectly safe.”

"“I can drink gin & tonics all day and not be affected.”

“Our problems are over.”

“Don’t worry, he doesn’t bite.”

“I know you’re in a hurry, so I will make this brief.”

“This is the model I use in my own home.”

@VaBluebird and @MaineLonghorn Snopes says cop is NOT from constable on patrol. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cop-talk/

^ well, phooey. My dear friend who was a D.C. Police Sargent told me that and I took him at his word, as he was a very smart guy. Alas, he is deceased so I can’t take it up with him again.
Thank you for setting me straight!

@VaBluebird and @jonri

COP

“early 18th century (as a verb): from obsolete cap ‘arrest’, from Old French caper ‘seize’, from Latin capere . The noun is from copper”

“level the playing field”
“Can I ask you a question?”
“Microagression”
“triggered”
“Fleek”

and today: “I don’t want it.” and “My queen”