What should I improve?

<p>Class: 2012
Race: Caucasian
GPA(Unweighted/4.0): 3.77
SAT II: 790 Bio M, 800 Global
I have the most rigorous courses my school offers (no AP's)
School: Small Private
EC's: Founder of (weekly) School Newspaper, Started own non-profit, 100+ hrs of volunteer work in New Orleans this summer, Ocean Biology Honors camp </p>

<p>Are these realistic?
Dream: Yale, Williams, Amherst, Pomona, MIT, Tufts
Match: Tulane, Colgate, SUNY Stony Brook, Bowdoin, Colby
Safety: Bard, Syracuse, Reed, Rutgers</p>

<p>It will be hard to determine your chances without SAT I or ACT scores. Your list seems pretty realistic, but if you want to increase your chances at your dream schools, you will need to get your GPA up.</p>

<p>Your ECs also look a bit lackluster; the only interesting extracurricular is the non-profit. Could you give us more info about that?</p>

<p>-Oh, and what is "Global"?-</p>

<p>I think s/he means Global History</p>

<p>It seems as though you are a rising junior, no?</p>

<p>Yes, if graduating 2012, must be a junior this fall. Explains the lack of an SAT score.</p>

<p>I rather disagree that your GPA is hurting you, although if you can nudge it up to a 3.8 that does kind of cross a psychological line. But again, without the primary standardized test scores, no one can really tell you anything. Now IF your test scores end up in line with your GPA, you should have some chances at the reaches, except maybe MIT, and good chances everywhere else.</p>

<p>The only thing that stood out to me was where you put Reed. I think admissions there are more competitive that you think. They say the average GPA is 3.9, but they don't say if that is weighted or unweighted. Anyway, it is not a safety I don't think and again, we need SAT or ACT scores.</p>

<p>The non-profit that I co-founded is a scholarship/grant program for underprivileged schools/students. Well technically there has been no fund-raising yet, since I only filed for 503(c) status a few weeks ago. But I do have NYS corporation certification.</p>

<p>I think that I'm getting mostly A's for my final this year. So I guess that I'll end up with a better GPA.</p>

<p>fallenchemist, now that I'm looking at it your right, I guess Reed is not a safety.</p>

<p>I just noticed, I said Global when I meant World History (I just have Regents on the brain).</p>

<p>One EC that I forgot to mention is my internship at The New York Times Book Review. Also I've been wondering, if I get the editor who I work for to write me a recommendation, would that help me?</p>

<p>

Goodness, yes. That's a well known and prestigious publication (can you tell I read it every weekend?), and it most certainly is a positive. Cool job, congrats. Hopefully you can do that again next summer, unless your not-for-profit takes off and that keeps you busier. I know people use the term non-profit and not-for-profit interchangeably, but the latter is more correct. There are lots of businesses, especially now, that are non-profit, just not on purpose, lol. They are for-profit buisinesses though. What you intend to do is intentionally not for profit. Nitpicky, I know.</p>

<p>So we look forward to hearing your test scores and at that point you will get plenty of advice and suggestions from the CC world.</p>

<p>Yeah your right, many corporations out there are unintentional "non-profits", but they are quite different from not-for-profit charities.</p>

<p>Just a suggestion, but you should take off Bard and Reed from your safety school list. They aren't safety schools for anyone.</p>

<p>Besides the test scores and GPA, I think you might want to try self study 2-3 AP exams this year. It'll show that you're capable of handling the courseload of an AP student, but don't have the means. Check out this thread for more info.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/369861-self-studying-aps-improving-your-app.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/369861-self-studying-aps-improving-your-app.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Without scores and rank, no one can give you a clue. As for the internship, it would depend how you got it. Colleges know affluent kids get handed them. I once worked at a high school where most kids had amazing resumes but did not get into top colleges because of them without the stats. If you in some way got it on your own, it would make all the difference.</p>

<p>Redroses - there is truth in what you say of course. On the other hand, if the editor that we worked for writes a great rec that comes across as genuine (some specifics as to why he was a good intern as opposed to weak generalities), that would carry a lot of weight no matter how he got the job. And of course you are right, as was already said we need SAT scores. Not all schools rank, so that may not be information that can be had.</p>

<p>brain hemorrhage; should be "the editor that he worked for. LOL.</p>

<p>Ok I know I should take Reed off, but I have an alumni relation to Bard, so I think that my chances are pretty good.</p>