what should my objective be?

<p>since this is a gap year between my high school and college, i want to work in some company, like say a pharmaceutical company. Although i m only a high school graduate, i do not know what i should write for my OBJECTIVE on my RESUME. I want to go to medical school, but i might major in economics. So please give me some suggestions on what an impressive objective i could write on my resume</p>

<p>No need to be "impressive". Simply state in one or two lines what you are looking for, e.g. "Seeking an entry position in xyz ...". </p>

<p>It is also a good idea not mentioning you are heading back to college unless being asked explicitly...</p>

<p>Just write something like</p>

<p>"I want to contribute to _______ company through my exceptional customer service and managerial skill, and is willing to learn and accomplish the skills and assigned duties required in a "[Write the position you are seeking]".</p>

<p>that'll be sufficient.</p>

<p>uhh, your objective is not supposed to exceed anymore than like 6-7 words.</p>

<p>
[quote]
uhh, your objective is not supposed to exceed anymore than like 6-7 words.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Not the way I learned in my high school. I learned that it should be between 1 and 3 lines, but never said anything about how many words i was limited to. Plus I've been doing this way all the time, and i had not problem getting a job.</p>

<p>From a site: </p>

<p>Immediately below the top section of a resume (containing your name, address, etc.), there is usually a short section with one of these headings: "objective," "professional objective," "resume capsule," or "career goals." Most often the objective statement includes 1-3 line of text, summarizing the position(s) you are applying for and/or your main qualifications. While some writers choose to use a sentence format, many objective statements are simply descriptive phrases with minimal punctuation.</p>

<p><a href="http://owl.english.purdue.edu/workshops/hypertext/ResumeW/objective.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://owl.english.purdue.edu/workshops/hypertext/ResumeW/objective.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The objective can be longer than 6 or 7 words. "My goal is to work in..." is 6 words already! </p>

<p>You do have the option to NOT put an objective as well. Depending on the job, sometimes I will take out my objective. Especially if a cover-letter is required you may want to take it out and focus the object in the letter. </p>

<p>Tim</p>

<p><a href="http://www.college-investor.com%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.college-investor.com&lt;/a>
Co-Founder</p>

<p>as per what i've learned from Stanford MBA's-</p>

<ol>
<li><p>What is the most common resume mistake made by job hunters?
Leaving out their Job Objective! If you don't show a sense of direction, employers won't be interested. Having a clearly stated goal doesn't have to confine you if it's stated well. </p></li>
<li><p>What's the first step in writing a resume?
Decide on a job target (or " job objective " ) that can be stated in about 5 or 6 words. Anything beyond that is probably " fluff " and indicates a lack of clarity and direction. </p></li>
<li><p>What if you have several different job objectives you're working on at the same time? Or you haven't narrowed it down yet to just one job target?
Then write a different resume for each different job target. A targeted resume is MUCH, much stronger than a generic resume. </p></li>
</ol>

<hr>

<p>but hey, go ahead and do your own thing</p>

<p>I agree, objectives aren't really needed when you have a cover letter..</p>

<p>ideally you should do a simple 1 line objective and a 3 paragraph cover letter.</p>

<p>oh ok...but what is the cover letter all about? i havent really seen cover letters since i m only a high school graduate. So the position i would be applying for, or i would fit in, would probably not expect such a professional outlook in a resume such as a cover letter.</p>

<p>so how about this objective: </p>

<p>To obtain an internship in some pharmacy, or finance related field from which I could sharpen my skills, and get ready for my future career in medicine</p>

<p>geee.........this obj sounds awkward...........what should i doooooooooooo??</p>

<p>I used to read resume and cover letters as part of my job. Given the large number of candidates, the tips posted by dcfca would work best for someone like me. </p>

<p>The objective often decides if I would read the rest of a job application package. E.g. if I am looking for an intern for a website project in a big pharm company, I will scan for "intern, web and/or pharma<em>" in the objective and *only</em> read those that have those keywords. With today's software, I don't even see a resume without the matching keywords.</p>

<p>So, if you know exactly what you are looking for, be specific on the objective - it would save both of us a lot of time. Otherwise, use brief and open-ended objective. </p>

<p>The rest of a resume should support the stated objective. E.g. if one is seeking an internship in web development but the resume shows no evidence of the skill, that file is thrown out.</p>

<p>Cover letter is sometime useful to tell the personalities and interest level of a candidate. For me, those who write well will likely get a call for interview. </p>

<p>One final "tip": Resume and cover letter are not meant to get a job. Their sole purpose is to get an interview. </p>

<p>Hope my perspective helps...</p>