What the the pros and cons for Semester at Sea, Thailand, Australia - Sydney, and Cape Town?

I am currently trying to decide where and when I am going to study abroad and cannot think of pros and cons for each. Each option is very different and in very different directions. I am a Tourism and Hospitality major with a Business minor if that helps in any way.

Thanks in advance! xx

With the choices you have, you’ll really have a tough time choosing considering the course your taking. But Australia seems like a good option for this.

1 Like

Would you be direstly applying to universities with study abroad programs?

1 Like

The University of Cape Town has a great tourism / hospitality management program, at least from what I heard from the staff at the hostel I stayed in during my study abroad in South Africa last summer. There’s a big push in South Africa right now to continue expanding its tourism industry. CT can be a little dicey in terms of crime/safety, but I’d argue places like Detroit and Miami are worse.

I can’t speak to anywhere else. I know Semester at Sea is ridiculously expensive and you could probably study abroad for a whole year at a university (and travel on breaks) for less than the cost of one SaS if you do it right. That said, if you have the money and want to do it, I’d go for it just so you can say you spent a semester on a cruise ship

1 Like