What tips you off to the gender of a poster?

<p>If the poster sounds like a sexist ****** and expresses bizarre opinions such as “exclamation marks are exclusively used by females” or “only women talk about their feelings”, condescending chuckle implied, I assume it’s a male seeking attention on the internet.</p>

<p>Well . . .</p>

<p>I always use hackneyed gender stereotypes that reinforce my pre-existing biases about the relative attributes of males and females as mitigated through the dominant hetero-normative paradigm . . . don’t you?</p>

<p>I think women are more likely to use smilies. :slight_smile: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :o :mad: :confused:</p>

<p>(I had to add them because I’m often mistaken for a man.)</p>

<p>I just go by the name. If it’s something like “Schmaltz”, I assume it’s a female. !!:)!!:)!!</p>

<p>I’ve been wrong a number of times on here–several posters have been very careful about not making this clear (and that’s OK by me).</p>

<p>And there are a few usernames that have been used by more than one person in a family, and that can make it more confusing.</p>

<p>Schmaltz, your #19 made me spit up coffee. </p>

<p>Busdriver, are you telling me now you are a woman? I really thought you drove a bus until awhile back I read your posts about being a pilot. But I also realize I always assumed you were a guy until now… I don’t think based on your username, but more what or how you write. </p>

<p>I think I am wrong a lot about gender on CC. I don’t really care one way or another, nor am necessarily conscious of how or why I make gender assumptions. I often don’t even know I hold these assumptions until they are violated by some factoid. Sort of feels like how I’m surprised when I meet someone in person and realize I had an image of them (that is different than their real life appearance).</p>

<p>Ghostt, Kei-o-lei, and blankmind nailed it. </p>

<p>Now if it were Schlitz instead of Schmaltz I’d think it was male and malt.</p>

<p>I assume everyone is female unless they state otherwise, because I don’t personally know any men who would spend time on a website like this.</p>

<p>CC people have often mistaken me for female, I suppose because coureur sounds vaguely feminine. But it’s not feminine so much as it is French, and in French it is masculine.</p>

<p>If they are students and complain about chin hairs: male.
If they are parents and complain about chin hairs: female</p>

<p>Schmaltz, you just about made my day with #19. :D</p>

<p>That is, if my day had not already been made by finding a nice place (with a kitchen) for 3 of us to stay right outside Yellowstone NP for $60 per night!</p>

<p>Having an edible username makes me a _____!</p>

<p>…cookie?</p>

<p>You know, a truly brilliant CC poster realized, oh … several years ago… that you could include a description of your role (mother, father, student, etc.) in the “location” field of your description and it would show up in your signature box, taking all the fun out of this particular aspect of the internet posting experience.</p>

<p>Now, who was that?? :rolleyes:</p>

<p>The name that really threw me was Oldfort. From the first time I had seen the name I read it as “Oldfart”. My wife tells me I am turning into an oldfart all the time. The image I had in mind with that name was a cranky older gent along the lines of Wilford Brimley. While reading a thread discussing clothing I noticed Oldfort (still oldfart in my mind) mentioned a dress and pumps I tilted…Wilford Brimley + dress and pumps is not a pleasant image.</p>

<p>I often get the gender wrong and am surprised when all along I though someone was a male and then they turn out to be female or vice-versa. Which is why I very deliberately put the word ‘mom’ into my user name. Just trying to make it easier on everyone…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If that’s a reference to me, since when does not posting for a couple of weeks when you’re out of the country on vacation constitute a disappearance?</p>

<p>As for the subject of this thread, I don’t know for sure, but I have a feeling that Schmaltz might be a guy.</p>

<p>^^^Not that there is anything wrong with that^^^^</p>

<p>Donna- possibly because even mini in India has been keeping up on his posts!
welcome back :)</p>

<p>I’ve posted in several threads in which people thought I was a man. In one post, I was referred to as him/her so as to cover the bases.</p>