What Truly is the Most Important Component of your College Application to Yale?

<p>Hi folks,
I was Just wondering, from the standpoint of a Homeschooled-International Yale Hopeful, What is the Most Important Component of an Application to Yale??</p>

<p>According to their own website, the secondary school transcript. Relating to the transcript they state that strong performance in a demanding program of study is crucial in gaining acceptance to Yale. Of course, there are other components of the application that some may argue are equally or even more important than the transcript.</p>

<p>The most important part of the application to pretty much ANY college is your secondary school transcript. That includes both the rigor of your courseload and the grades that you receive in those classes.</p>

<p>The thing is though, for a school like Yale, just nailing down the most important part of the application won't do you much good. Yale admits will have to be extraordinary in other ways while maintaining a strong academic record.</p>

<p>If the OP is homeschooled, his high school transcript can't possibly be the most important element of his application, because it is almost impossible for the college to evaluate. I think for such a person, standardized test scores will be disproportionately important when compared to other applicants.</p>

<p>I hope you're valedictorian mate!</p>

<p>Take as many SAT Subject tests as possible. 4+ at least. Also, try to self-study for AP tests (go for the AP Diploma even). These credentials might help you as a home-schooled applicant.</p>

<p>Whoops ... guess I glanced over the part about being homeschooled ...</p>

<p>I agree with what everyone is saying. It is definitely the transcript. I think that the essay is second in importance, though. Schools like Yale have many applicants that are strong academically, so they use the essay to find out which of these applicants have enough passion to make their mark on campus.</p>

<p>D submitted only her ACT score (no subject test scores at all). She had a very rigorous course load in high school with high GPA and class rank. I concur with posters above -high school transcript is the most important component.</p>

<p>IMO, it's the most important component to a certain extent. Do not completely immerse yourself in academics to the extent you forget to have a life outside of classes. That's important too.</p>

<p>If you're considering Yale, then your transcript is probably top notch (or really, really good). So, I think the most important part are your essays and recommendations.</p>