What would set me apart from everyone else?

<p>Hi, I'm a freshman in high school,a three sport athlete, active in several clubs, have a 4.0 GPA, but I know that that doesn't set me apart from the thousands of applicants that colleges get. So I was wondering what would make me stand out to an Ivy League college such as Harvard?...Any advice at all?</p>

<p>Thanks :)</p>

<p>Not spending your entire time at high school trying to figure out what looks best to colleges might be a start...</p>

<p>play five sports</p>

<p>Be a girl and get very good at field hocky, lacross, or (preferably) golf.</p>

<p>I'm not an idiot, if you guys are gonna be jerks, don't even answer.</p>

<p>Well you are a vegan, which is unusual. Are you involved in the environmental club or any other environmental or animal type activites? Like do you volunteer at a vet hosptial or have you worked at like the SPCA or veterinary office during the summers?</p>

<p>If so then that could be something that makes you unique. I would advise you to develop a theme about your application. This theme should reflect your greatest interests. For example you play three sports which is unusual for a vegan (they tend to be really skinny) so I think a really unique essay could be (if you play football) one about eating grass on the field and then connect that to your life as a vegan and why you are a vegan.
But more importantly YOU SHOULD NOT BE THINKING ABOUT HARVARD RIGHT NOW!!!!!!</p>

<p>You are a freshman your goals should be: get all As (freshman year is the easiest year), enjoy your life, and do the ECs you would do if colleges never saw. </p>

<p>Then when you actually have to apply to college you will should have a resume that sports a litany of things that are related to your interest and experiences that you can use for essays.</p>

<p>Learn lots of languages and get involved in stuff during your summers.</p>

<p>Become distinguished at whatever you do, in your activities and sports. State and national recognition usually helps.</p>

<p>Find some sort of skill, club, etc. that will help you stand out. I'm the Co-Editor-in-Chief of my student newspaper right now, and we use the same computer layout progarm (Adobe InDesign) that the Harvard Crimson uses. My interviewers were really impressed because it's such a new program, and they said that if I walked into the Crimson office today, they'd set me to work immediately - so few people know it! So even though high school journalism is typical, I found a way to make myself stand out. Something like that could really get you far. Good luck!</p>

<p>Well, to be perfectly honest, you probably shouldn't be setting about molding your high school experience around where you're going to college. You've got 3 years after this- do what YOU want to do, not what just looks good on a resume. </p>

<p>However, passion does stand out. It's better to do something and stick with it for four years than to sign up for a bazillion different activities.</p>

<p>Throughout High School, I joined some Extra currics I thought would impress colleges. Some of them I hated and felt miserable in (and eventually dropped out of), but some were "ok" . I gained no recognizable award/accomplishment in any of those clubs nor (now that I understand college admissions better) would any of those clubs make me a diverse applicant. </p>

<p>The clubs that, I feel, will impress the adcoms are the ones I joined for fun or because of interest. For example, I started rugby at my HS on a nationally competitive team and really enjoyed it. I won some awards on my team (Most improved player etc.) that I feel will aid my application. Plus, when I became interested in Harvard and decided to apply, I found out that Harvard has one of the best rugby teams in the US! Considering the scarce amount of rugby players in the US, the experience will aid in showcasing my diversity as an applicant (Harvard does't recruit for rugby since it is a club sport but the sport still adds to my diversity) </p>

<p>An academic club I joined out of passion was my Investment Club (I am interested in stocks). Before I knew it, I scored very high on a national financial literacy test and placed in the top 1% in my state in a stock simulation competition with many high schools.</p>

<p>I am also very involved in my local Middle Eastern Youth group (since I was young), and involved in a national organization which promotes human rights and democracy in the Middle East. These groups combined with my race and the fact that I go to the Middle East every summer (I have been in a war, which I talked about in my essay) will really make me diverse in the eyes of the adcoms (I assume). </p>

<p>But the point is, I geared my activities to what already makes me diverse.</p>

<p>Find what makes you diverse (Vegan? etc.) and get involved with Vegan related groups/ activities (Animal Rights Group?). Also, join clubs you have AN INTEREST for. Its ok to experiment with different Ex-Cs to see which suits you, just don't join clubs because they sound impressive. Good Luck.</p>

<p>i speak 5 languages, went on 3 exchange programs for 3 years in canada/us..
btw im an international student.
does that make me set apart from others or is that usual at harvard?</p>

<p>^ sounds pretty special to me. :) You should post your full stats for a better picture. Hey did anyone know that in a little thing that I read, students pretended to be admissions officers and looked at past applications and did their own accepting and rejecting? They were correct on nearly every single applicant.</p>

<p>But anyways, good luck to all! :)</p>

<p>Well, you're from Vega, which means you're a space alien! That stands out!</p>

<p>Just kidding. Here's a straight answer: it's my belief that applicants stand out the most who have some interesting achievement or activity outside of school.</p>

<p>try to be completely involved in whatever you like doing instead of making a nondescript laundry list..that would be my suggestion and obviously don't think much about colleges right now..just enjoy what you like doing and things will fall into place..</p>

<p>I'm going to give you the best answer right here in this whole thread full of wishy-washy responses:</p>

<p>You seem like an athletic guy, so do a sport that they actively recruit for. That amounts to basically crew, diving, swimming, and possibly sailing though I'm not sure. If you're a pretty big guy do a private rowing club outside of your school, find a way to get recognized, and you will get recruited into any college you want. Seriously, I only wish that I was a big, strong bulky guy so I could do this (I have multiple friends who have been athletic recruits for sports that aren't ridiculous to get recruited for like football and swimming I guess).</p>

<p>I would definitely advise you NOT to take the advice of the above. The amount of time and commitment required to participate in a sport let alone excel on a high level is huge, the only way to do it is if it is something that you are sincerly interested in. Otherwise you can burn out really easy and waste your time that you could use toward something else.</p>

<p>"I am going to give the best answer" </p>

<p>First of all, do not assume your answer is better than anyone else's. Everyone here is contributing good points which will help the OP. To be honest, your post could be the worst here so far.</p>

<p>First of all, playing three sports does not mean one is athletic. There are several people at my school who play three sports but do not excel in any. Second of all, who said the OP was a guy? Third, how does being "big and bulky" amounts to success in sports like rowing (weight slows down the team), swimming (there are barely any large swimmers who are successful; they need to be strong and slender, like M Phelps), Sailing (no explanation needed). At my school a 120-30 pound wrestler (5 6") and a skinny cross country runner got recruited to Harvard. And who said those sports are the most recruited! Football and Basketball will recruit more than any of those sports. </p>

<p>Assuming that most applicants cannot become recruitable applicants (the OP can possibly be one), your plan is the most ridiculous one on this thread. I also agree with Dbate, you will just waste your time on one activity, and if you are not a recruitable athlete in time, you will have nothing else to show for.</p>

<p>mcgoogly is just trolling guys</p>

<p>Dam another one :(.</p>