What's a reasonable amount of credits?

<p>I'm trying to figure out how many credits of courses I should tentatively sign up for on online orientation. I'll be a freshman in fall 2010. I don't want to have too much work while I am acclimating and trying to figure out what I should be doing, but at the same time, I don't want to take too few courses and put myself at a disadvantage... would taking the minimum of 13 credits be a bad idea?</p>

<p>And do people usually sign up for seminar courses too? They seem pretty interesting, but I don't know how useful they would be...</p>

<p>Thanks for any help.</p>

<p>if you have 13 units from 3 real courses you probably wouldn't be at a disadvantage, but if you're premed don't expect to keep taking 3 courses and be able to keep up with your recommended track.</p>

<p>but either way for your first semester you could definitely take "only" 3 real courses.</p>

<p>What counts as a "real course"?</p>

<p>--incoming freshman</p>

<p>A "real course" would be a class that actually fulfills something for your major or a breadth/R&C/AC requirement. Not a class you'd take for fun like a 1-2 unit seminar or a decal.</p>

<p>anything that is hard, usually technical and weeder classes - check berkeley.courserank.com for grade distributions</p>

<p>e.g. I didn't count ESPM50AC as a real course even though it was 4 units.</p>

<p>Chem3A/3B, while only 3 units each, were definitely real courses.</p>