<p>With the college admissions game over, many people will turn to college as their next focus. I have some goals set and want to challenge myself academically in my college years. Do you think it’s possible for one to finish top 10 percent or even top 25 percent? This would be my goal.</p>
<p>It’s apparently possible to finish top 10 percent for 10 percent of people in any given college…</p>
<p>I don’t think many colleges even rank other than possibly for Phi Beta Kappa, which is more static than dynamic. I do know of 2 schools with a valedictorian.</p>
<p>Without knowing more, I would estimate the probability of the former occurring at 0.1 and the latter at 0.25.</p>
<p>While colleges generally do not rank, many award degrees with distinction, with high distinction or with highest distinction (cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude for the ones that like Latin on their diplomas) for achieving certain overall GPAs. 3.4, 3.6 and 3.8 are sometimes the cutoffs. Graduation programs sometimes indicate who received which, and that provides a rough idea of a particular student’s standing within the entire graduating class.</p>
<p>It’s extremely realistic, but it’s really hard to verify like other posters have said.</p>
<p>It’s realistically attainable if you put your mind to it, just remember that you’re competing with kids from not so challenging majors compared to yours.</p>
<p>well it possible for 1/5 million to win the lottery</p>
<p>are there great benefits to finishing with like a 3.84 average? Do students who do very well in college stand out in job offers?</p>
<p>A high GPA can help get you into a top grad school. It may also help get a first job right out of school with some employers, generally the more prestigious employers in some professions. Once you are a few years past graduation and are applying for jobs based on prior work experience, it does not matter very much. If you are attending school while working for a company, some employers have tuition reimbursement programs that require you get a certain minimum grade in order to be reimbursed for the tuition costs.</p>
<p>I think your chances depend completely on how hard you’re willing to work once you’re in. 'Nuff said.</p>
<p>Some colleges do rank. My college named a valedictorian and a salutatorian, and the top 10 seniors. But that’s because it’s our college’s traditions for the top 10 seniors in the senior class to host the special Class Day convocation on the Friday before graduation.</p>
<p>I set a GPA goal rather than a percentage goal. Your class rank in college - if your college even ranks - isn’t really important; but your GPA IS important, as your GPA will qualify you for multiple opportunities (graduate schools, prestigious post-graduate scholarships and fellowships that have cut-offs). I fell a little bit short of my goal of a 3.5, but I still had a lot of opportunities open to me and accepted an offer for a Ph.D at Columbia, so I think I’m ok :D</p>
<p>to the title question: 10%. what the eff?</p>
<p>i dont think colleges rank like HS does</p>
<p>A top 10% will help you get into grad and professional school. However, when it comes to employers, work experience is important as are ECs particularly those reflecting the skills the employer is seeking. Consequently, marketing/advertising firms would be impressed by students who’ve organized fund raisers and other large events. Businesses may be impressed by students who’ve published in campus newspapers because doing so reflects strong writing ability. Businesses also may be impressed by students who’ve been treasurers for student organizations.</p>
<p>All prospective employers may be impressed by extracurriculars reflecting that you have strong leadership and teamwork skills.</p>
<p>Just having a high gpa with no work experience and no experience doing work-oriented things for student organizations may not get one far in the job market.</p>
<p>I think it depends on the college you’re talking about. When my sister graduated from Dartmouth last June, there were 3 valedictorians who tied for the highest GPA. Two of them accepted the offer to speak at graduation; one declined, saying that would be too much to sit through. </p>
<p>At Dartmouth my sister’s GPA was calculated using - and + to reduce or add value. So, a B+ was worth more than a B, and a B- was worth less than a B. To calculate GPA for honors at graduation, like Cum Laude etc, Dartmouth set a limit of how many students (% of total class size) could earn each level of honor. My sister had just over a 3.5 and a mathematics major, and didn’t graduate with honors because her rank was too low. Maybe other colleges do it differently.<br>
I guess the bottom line is: Do your best and don’t worry about things you can’t control.</p>
<p>If a person is aiming for a top level graduate school in management, around what gpa should they aim to have at a competitive college?</p>
<p>^For an MBA, you should have at least a 3.6 and a strong GMAT score.</p>
<p>I think this is why they have Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude. Rather than Val and Sal in high school they award the Latin honors.</p>
<p>I’d say there’s a 10% chance.</p>
<p>In all seriousness, just focus on GPA. Many colleges don’t rank and even for those that do it doesn’t really matter. GPA is what grad school and employers will look at.</p>
<p>Don’t forget everybody’s favorite crietria: the “prestige” of your undergrad.</p>