What's the socially acceptable thing to say when you see the animal?

<p>The other day I got out of work and walked past a coworker (and being relatively new I’m trying to build good rapport with all of them). Waiting for a ride, he commented that I should watch out for the dead bird. </p>

<p>“What dead bird?”
“It’s a baby bird. I’ve already taken a closer look.”</p>

<p>I saw that scavenger insects had already eaten up the torso.</p>

<p>“What’s left of a baby bird, anyway …”</p>

<p>[awkward silence]</p>

<p>I was trying to come up with some witty parting remark to say, so I just said, “Ahh, evolution,” before waving goodbye.</p>

<p>Now I’m afraid I’ve come off as a bit heartless.</p>

<p>The thread title should read “see a dead animal”. </p>

<p>Gahhh…</p>

<p>You can edit it. Do edit then select advanced to change the title.</p>

<p>I’d have probably said “ugh” or “thanks for sharing” - though that may have came across as a bit sarcastic.</p>

<p>Agh, can’t edit it no more.</p>

<p>Mods, lock this.</p>

<p>…is this thread for real? how often do you encounter dead animals with a coworker? lol.</p>

<p>I’m being serious – I meant in general, naturally.</p>

<p>Football: such audacity from a new member!</p>

<p>well, unfortunately, there’s really not much potential for wittiness with dead birds - sticking with an “eww” works pretty well in this case. i doubt he’s going to think you’re heartless though, odds are he doesnt even remember the incident.</p>

<p>Is the op trying to ■■■■■ or something? Or are you legitimately serious? I hope you’re not but you never know. </p>

<p>You’re asking what to say when you see a dead animal and actually thought this would be worthy of its own thread? </p>

<p>Agreed with whoever said lock this.</p>

<p>Given that some animals are sentient, it would seem that making the wrong remark, or not seeming compassionate, would be un-PC</p>

<p>Is it really that hard to come up with something on your own?</p>

<p>“Oh, that’s pretty disgusting”</p>

<p>“That’s pretty bad”</p>

<p>“Wow”</p>

<p>“Interesting”</p>

<p>“Weird”</p>

<p>“That’s kind of sad” (For those that have compassion for dead animals)</p>

<p>Thought of each of those in under 3 seconds.</p>

<p>You’re way way way way way way overthinking this.</p>

<p>yeah , why do you have to come up with a witty comment for a dead bird … seriously.</p>

<p>just say poor bird or shed a fake tear or smth.</p>

<p>awwww :(</p>

<p>“It’S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR MOM GOES OFF WITH ANOTHER MAN”</p>

<p>-run away while crying-</p>

<p>W.T.F.!!! I don’t get it…who walks around talking about a dead bird? Chances are that you won’t have the same conversation again (hopefully not anyways…) so why even worry about it?</p>

<p>lol at ‘ahh evolution’. </p>

<p>i dont think this thread is stupid. its a legitimate question. i mean because its not like you’ve never seen a dead animal before when theres another person</p>

<p>i dont know whats socially acceptable. as long as you dont say ‘oh cool i want to take it home for my collection’ then anything goes</p>