What's up with all of these assistant professors for math 3B?

<p>Why are there no experienced Math 3B professors for Winter quarter? Give me Greene damnit... Being taught by a person with a PhD is not the same thing as being taught by a true professor (a.k.a UCLA is lowering its standards...)</p>

<p>Why do you complain about everything? Anyway, there are several reasons why the 3 series is mostly taught by postdocs.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>The postdocs need teaching experience for their CV. Without it, many would have a harder time finding their next job. This is partly because postdocs teach everywhere, this issue is not unique to UCLA.</p></li>
<li><p>Experienced professors would rather teach math classes for actual math majors (or other people interested in learning math). </p></li>
<li><p>It's the 3 series. You're learning plug and chug single variable calculus. Everyone in the department knows it well.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>
[QUOTE]
3. It's the 3 series. You're learning plug and chug single variable calculus. Everyone in the department knows it well.

[/QUOTE]

This. The best instructor I ever had in the Math department had just received his PhD the quarter before. He was knowledgeable, and had a clear philosophy about teaching (which he posted on his website). It showed.</p>

<p>lol i see u every time whenever i visit this forum. what up with u?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Why do you complain about everything?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Because he's determined on hating every bit of time he has to spend at miserable UCLA.</p>

<p>Be careful what you wish for.... for an entry level classes, you are more likely to receive a better teaching from younger professors than old professors who only care to work with PhD students.</p>

<p>
[quote]
for an entry level classes, you are more likely to receive a better teaching from younger professors than old professors who only care to work with PhD students.

[/quote]
Those 2 choices are not, of course, the only possibilities. Why not posit an experienced prof who takes pride in using her/his knowledge gained over the years of what students find difficult in the class in order to teach it more effectively?</p>

<p>You do get that with the 30 series. If you look at the list, there are a lot of full professors, including some of the most senior professors in the department.</p>

<p>The problem is that the 3 series is strictly a service class, and for the most part they don't want to do it.</p>

<p>Mikemac is the only one who gets what I'm talking about... ThisCouldBeHeavn, I don't complain, I just point out the plethora of valid flaws that exist at UCLA.. (It should be said though, that I'm actually pretty satisfied with the school under the circumstances of what's going on in the U.S). </p>

<p>justforgotfrag, maybe the reason why you see me "every time" is that I don't just lurk around this web site like an empty shell (basically, I'm not you).</p>

<p>What right do you have to undermine the knowledge and teaching abilities of these assistant professors? Just because they are post-docs doesn't mean they aren't qualified to teach the course, nor does it mean they are unable to teach the course at the caliber of full time professors. You are just an undergraduate and this is math 3B for god's sake. Just because they have an assistant professor teaching the course does not mean UCLA is lowering it's standards. I don't know what you have done that allows you to speak so pridefully and egotistically, but I know that the people UCLA has teaching here are more than qualified and have PhD's which is more than you have. That is all.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Being taught by a person with a PhD is not the same thing as being taught by a true professor (a.k.a UCLA is lowering its standards...)

[/quote]
</p>

<p>So according to this logic, there should never be any more professors, since no assistant prof should be teaching any classes at all.</p>

<p>Weird, weird logic.</p>

<p>How long have you been in college for? Typically younger profs give much more of a **** and end up actually being a lot better for you in the long run. I'm surprised you haven't experienced this yet.</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]
What right do you have to undermine the knowledge and teaching abilities of these assistant professors? Just because they are post-docs doesn't mean they aren't qualified to teach the course, nor does it mean they are unable to teach the course at the caliber of full time professors. You are just an undergraduate and this is math 3B for god's sake. Just because they have an assistant professor teaching the course does not mean UCLA is lowering it's standards. I don't know what you have done that allows you to speak so pridefully and egotistically, but I know that the people UCLA has teaching here are more than qualified and have PhD's which is more than you have. That is all.

[/QUOTE]

On top of that, it's not like UCLA is the only university that does this. Postdocs and new professors (and often even people with only an MS) teach introductory courses at universities everywhere, public and private. The fact of the matter is, you don't need to have been doing research for decades about a topic to be able to effectively teach the basics, and most tenured professors would rather teach subjects relevant to their specific research.</p>

<p>your name definitely fits you, Mr. Overachiever.</p>

<p>@ Tetrahedr0n, you're exactly right, I haven't experienced any solid assistant professors. Right now I am basically teaching myself calculus out of the textbook because the assistant prof has no teaching ability (though he's extremely knowledgable about math). I don't want a repeat of this quarterwith even higher level math and that's why I'm kind freaking out about these new PhDs for 3b.</p>

<p>Justforgotfrag, thank you (?)</p>