I was a SAHM for 10 years before returning to the paid workforce. But after H passed away ( 4 years into our retirement) I lost my SS benefits anyway. I can only collect his benefit ( the higher) one. So my paying in for many years doesn’t help me now anyway.
By historical measures, the market is way overvalued.
I’ve been hearing that for years. Remember Greenspan and “irrational exuberance”?
Sure. But the higher valuations means any hiccup could pull it down. It’s not like we havent seen major pullbacks in the past.
Of course, but isn’t the point made above being not to panic during those pullbacks?
My point is I wouldnt even consider what’s happening now even a blip so if people are thinking it’s painful now, imagine a real pull back. There was a similar discussion in the retirement thread last year, even that was barely a blip and the market is 20% higher than it was a year ago.
Oh, sure. That’s why I don’t pay much attention to the balances. Our advisor has done an excellent job with balancing the accounts and the ups and downs aren’t a big deal (to me, anyway). Over time, it should all work out. I have concerns about the impact of certain types of companies and their impact to the market, but there’s not much to do about it.
I was completely and absolutely burned out at my job. It took a long time for me to recover from that, but having the retirement savings meant at least one thing was going to be ok.
I’m on the other side of this, past 65 and still working. To some extent, I like the work and the income but also my DH has had some health and mobility problems and is not really able to travel much or do things like play pickleball. I don’t need to work, we would be fine financially.
I can’t quite figure out when I want to retire, but also don’t want to work forever. No grandkids so far (and possibly ever) which would have been/be a game changer in the decision. Interesting to read everyone’s posts.
It doesn’t sound like anyone regretted retiring.
What’s interesting is whenever I have mentioned about retiring, there were always someone in the group who would tell me to stay in the job, and most of them are retired.
LOL - maybe they don’t have CC pals to keep them company in retirement
and get lonely. Seriously, a lot can depend upon access to former coworkers/friends and other friends (who may still be busy working elsewhere) once no longer interacting at the workplace.
Most of them said they lost their sense of purpose because they were used to have a routine, felt needed, and intellectually challenged. I think it is especially for people who had higher power jobs. They were used to having people who listened them, always in and out of meetings. When they retired the only people they could boss around are their family members - if they let you. ![]()
Some people may find it liberating not to have to do anything or be any where, but some people may feel lost.
I guess that’s why H & I are content. Neither of us were high powered executives telling people what to do. And both of us are able to find things that engage our minds and bodies in retirement.
I suspect these people all ended up on our local “friends of the library” board ![]()
IMO those people need an attitude shift. They might be better off doing things where they don’t have to be the “ boss”. Like doing chores at home, doing the humbler volunteer work ( rather than being on the board), etc.
Simple acts of service do provide meaning.
I’ve said it here and in real life SOO many times and (clearly) feel very strongly about it…
Retirement is NOT everyone’s hot ticket at 60, 62 or 65 or more!
Do not question someone who has made a CHOICE to not retire at these ages why they are not making the choice to enter full retirement. Respect their desire to continue working and hopefully they respect yours to retire.
I absolutely value and yep, treasure the ability and opportunity to still give back to a work cause that is important to me. I feel SO LUCKY to enjoy working part time in a career position because not working at all (aside from IRL volunteering and such which I still do) is not my desire or mindset yet. YET. It will happen. Or become necessary. No regrets regardless.
Some will “brag” about being retired. Some will “brag” about working! Some MUST continue to work financially - many in fact.
I believe I’m in the minority. I’m cool with that.
Just remember it’s not everyone’s hot ticket. Ask yourself - is it yours??
I can see this in a lot of ways. For many years - many many many years - I defined myself by my job. This will sound braggy, and I don’t mean it that way, but I’m really good at what I do. I rose up the ladder to a relatively high leadership position at a relatively young age. I was that person in and out of meetings, directing projects and people, and knowing that when I spoke, it carried weight (not that people necessarily listened, but they were supposed to.
)
But then that job fell apart. I got a new leader who was not just a poor fit for me, but who actively made me question myself, my self worth, my capability. It made me feel really like a failure and I really struggled to separate me, as a person, from my job.
That was two jobs and 3.5 years ago, and I feel so much better now. I had to do a lot of introspection into what mattered to me, and I took a job that, on paper, was a very clear step “down”. And then I did it again. Fewer people to lead, lower budget, less work with “important” people. But in the process I found a happier me and really spent some time working on my definition of self and purpose and goals.
I’m hoping all of that will serve me well when it’s time to retire. If I’m not defining myself by my job and by career goals and career success, then i think it should be easier to walk away without feeling so lost. But I can 100% see people struggling with that, because I think, even a few years ago, I would have.
I am totally good with people continuing to work for whatever reason (which is none of my business). My dad retired at age 75, didn’t need the money but loved running his business.
Even though he was the boss for decades he had no trouble adjusting. He enjoyed golf, working out,walking, meals out with friends, reading, and volunteering. His volunteer work was serving at fund raising dinners and playing cards with the residents of the local veteran’s home. Humble stuff.
This was me and then I took a “sabbatical” when we moved to the US and I was dreading not working for a but, and.. then decided being a SAHM had plenty to keep me busy. It helped that a lot of people I met during that time were similarly professionals taking a break and were interesting to spend time with. (If that sounds snobby I don’t mean it to. It was just quite different to who the SAHMs were in my previous city, who were all about shopping trips et ). I was happy enough to go back to work too - I do enjoy the stimulation - but I also know I’ll be perfectly happy not working now - it will just be different. We do plan to do a lot of traveling - including lots of road trips through this magnificent country, which has so much and so much variety to offer.
And I always remind people that retirement is an option not a requirement. We all view our working lives differently, and that’s as it should be. Neither work nor retirement are anything to brag about, they’re just choices (or not).
There were parts of my job I really enjoyed (especially data-geeking/charts . And working with dozens of lovely co-workers, most in different states and countries - they certainly appreciated my knowledge/skills more than management did). The team problem solving conquests were satisfying, but often that happened in high stress situations that were offshift… and frankly I like sleeping and being free to plan my evenings/weekends without work constraints. Hooray to retirement.