When getting a job, how important are grades VS activities.

<p>I am asking not whether grades are important but relative to activities and extra-carriculars how important are they?</p>

<p>I read recently that Big four firms would prefer a student who has a 3.3 GPA whom is involved in leadership activities, rather then a 4.0 student who sits in his room all day and studies.</p>

<p>To be honest, I will get an internship or two before I graduate but I won't join any activities... I just don't want too....</p>

<p>Are high grades meaningless if you don't have school / community activities? What about high grades and decent internships?</p>

<p>4.0 and not goober looking/handsome enough to not get put down by female HR interviewers > lesser GPA with activities and losery looking.</p>

<p>once you hit a certain GPA threshold, say a 3.0, then you ec's hold the most wieght and not and extra .75 points on you gpa</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That GPA threshold is definitely higher than a 3.0, buddy. The difference between a 3.0 and a 3.5 is night and day. I'd say the threshold is probably 3.6, coincidentally the GPA of taxguy.</p>

<p>it was an example, hence "say"</p>

<p>and it depends what school you go to and what industry you want to be in</p>

<p>At my school, some job interviews are grilling sessions(SCM is one, MIS I think some employers require you to code something for a half hour), others are more about personality and charm(accounting and marketing jobs).</p>

<p>What's personality have to do with the question? Don't deviate from the question. The question did not ask about looks or personality. GPA > Activities. All else equal, like the question was originally asked, 3.0 with leadership will not look better than a 3.6+ GPA student. Nor will a 3.3 look better than a 4.0. EC's don't matter at all, look for work experience and high GPA. That was the secret to my success.</p>

<p>I'm giving the OP the opportunity to infer that some jobs are more concerned with intellect than others. In accounting, it looks like the recruiting process is basically to interview all the officers of relevant student orgs assuming a reasonable GPA(3.3+), then use GPA as a screening tool to cut down the rest to a manageable group for interviewing. After that they assume you are smart enough to do staff level work and personality is what matters. </p>

<p>In <em>some</em> other majors, they are keenly interested in how intelligent you are, even at the interview, which tells me that they probably would prefer a 3.9 GPA to a 3.6 with leadership.</p>

<p>Work experience, networking, interviewing skills are all more important than GPA. There is typically a GPA cut off (3.0 vs 3.5 vs 3.75 depending on industry), but after you get through the first round and land the interviews, GPA plays a very very small role (none).</p>

<p>Why don't you just get a part-time job thats somewhat related to your field? By the time you graduate you should have 2-3 years of relevant work experience with the SAME company which is major. If you end up getting promotions, and raises then that looks awesome as well. Working full-time and graduating with good grades is a huge accomplishment, doing it while working part-time is a difficult task.</p>

<p>I want to stay in the banking field which is why I've been with the same bank for going on 2 years now. I'ved worked my way up to a Senior Banker position, and by the time I graduate I will be in management. My company just expanded to municple banking and I'm starting to build connections with that division in the campany. I will get an analyst job over a external candidate 9/10 times if we have similar educational credentials (if a kid is coming from a top top school with excellent grades then that might be a deciding factor). Even if I jump ship and go to another bank my experience will give me the nod for positions.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure other large companies are going to give the nod to a person with real world experience or internal candidates than someone that has none. If you look at job descriptions they all want experience these days. I know my company asks for at least 2 years of public finance experience to even be considered for a analyst position.</p>

<p>Footballbanker, are you going into interviews talking about football? How far does that get you?</p>

<p>Sarcasm is the lowest form of argumentation. To answer your question, only if I'm asked if I played ball then I will mention my college football days. I only do it to connect personally with the people interviewing me. Most have been huge sports fans, otherwise I do not mention football.</p>

<p>Are you going into interviews and talking about how many whistles you've blown?</p>

<p>I'm not being sarcastic, I am just wondering if talking about playing football impresses people in general. It definitely impresses me, I'd probably hire you.</p>