<p>Parents who attended privates -usually in the end- choose to send their kids to privates. I would say the same for publics. Parents who attended public universities, may consider privates, but in the end prefer to send their kids to a good state school (though maybe an out-of-state school) It’s a matter of comfort level. Parents value their own experience and wish the same for their children.</p>
<p>snugapug- I disagree. Many families I know- including my own- sent kids to privates when both parents went to state universities. Back in our day, a lot of us didn’t think twice about going to a good, large state university. Doesn’t mean we don’t think something else would be a better fit for a kid.</p>
<p>I think it varies. My best friend (Yale grad) in high school’s B student daughter went to a SUNY. My brother’s B student went to Sweet Briar, while the A+ student went to UNH (after being rejected from Columbia and Harvard).</p>
<p>There are a lot of mid-tier privates that happily accept B students. Many of the Jesuit schools (not Gtown or BC, but others) accept many B students who thrive there. </p>
<p>There are plenty of not-very-academically-selective private colleges that would be glad to have a list price paying student from a wealthy family.</p>
<p>But I see this as another NYC-wealthy-parents-gone-amok article. They seem to pop up periodically to remind the plebian class how lucky we are NOT to be rich and living in New York City.</p>
<p>Does the Ivy Grad Parent include those who did grad school at institutions which are basically Ivy Leagues in terms of prestige in the field (eg, Berkeley Law, Cal Tech physics, UCLA Medicine, etc)?</p>
<p>This is kind of a silly question, but I’ll give a serious answer: parents like this will put a lot of thought into helping their kids find a good fit. Often, it will be an LAC, but there are plenty of other possibilities.</p>
<p>This whole article made me sad. Why must these parents be so caught up in money and prestiege that they can’t even be responsive to the needs of their own child? S1 is happy as a clam at a mid-level regional university that is rarely mentioned on CC. Maybe their kid would be too, but they’ll never know - they’re too busy trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole at HYPSM.</p>
<p>The people described in that article sound awful. If those are the values of a lot of students who (with their parents’ help) have used their advantages to get into “elite” universities, I wouldn’t want to be there. It’s no surprise that the Ivies are the pipeline to Wall Street and political power and that we have serious ethical issues within both.</p>