When should I take AP physics if I want to go to a UC and might get a D or F?

<p>I want to take AP physics Junior year so i can take the AP test and the UC i want to go to which is Berkeley or UC San Diego can see what i get on it. If I take it during Senior year, they won't be able to see what I get on the AP test. The problem is that Ap Physics is one of the hardest courses offered at my school and I heard the highest grade ever received is a C. This means i am probably either going to get a D or an F. If I get a D am i still an eligible candidate for Berkeley or UCSD as long as I maintain a 3.0 GPA unweighted or am i not able to apply to any UC schools because of that one D or F?</p>

<p>Why do you want to take a class where you estimate that you have no chance of earning better than a C?</p>

<p>Much better you should take on-level or honors Physics instead, and get an A or B.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The problem is that Ap Physics is one of the hardest courses offered at my school and I heard the highest grade ever received is a C.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>To paraphrase a current Presidential candidate, I'll bet $10,000 that what you heard is not true. </p>

<p>But if it is, there is no use taking the course. Period. A C is a bad grade if you are applying to the top 3 campuses. A bad grade is a waste of time.</p>

<p>For UC Berkeley a C is not a good mark to get. Even if you were to get accepted, getting a C after acceptance can be cause for getting rescinded. You should only take classes you think you can get an A or B in. </p>

<p>If you still really want to show them your AP Physics score, you can independent study and take the test. That would be a much better decision than getting a poor grade/failing the class.</p>

<p>In the past, students accepted at Berkeley have noticed conditions of admission that included getting at least a 3.0 in in-progress courses with no grade lower than a C. Of course, a C in junior year (where it would be visible for UC admissions purposes) would not be a good thing (even with the +1 honors/AP point).</p>

<p>Obviously, it is not a good idea to take a course where you are likely to get a D or F in. Also, AP physics (especially B) is not especially valuable for subject credit at UC (although it gives generic credit units for a sufficient score on the AP test).</p>

<p>You will not likely get in with any D. I do know a girl rescinded from a less selective UC who got a D in Honors Chem.</p>

<p>AP physics should not be so hard that the highest grade anyone can get is a C. I bet that story is a bunch of baloney, anyway. Have you gone to ask the teacher if it is true?</p>