When To Take What

<p>Alright, title says it all.. in everyone's opinion what should students takes their Freshman,Soph,Junior,Senior year? How should you split the pre-reqs (which ones get what year)</p>

<p>Like everything else with this process, when to take prereqs is a variable thing. Some majors (like bio, biochem, etc.) have most if not all of the med school prereqs as required lower division courses for the major that you need to complete before taking upper division courses. If this is the case, you'll be squeezing them all in the first 1.5-2 years. </p>

<p>If not, you can spread them out, and I would definitely recommend doing so in order to devote as much time to the courses as you need to do well. Remember that this is a numbers game, so try to get the best grades (esp in the prereqs) that you can. If the labs are separate classes, you can put those off as long as you want since they don't give you any material needed for the MCAT - I didn't take the labs until my last quarter of college.</p>

<p>My D. took:
Fresh - Bio, Gen. Chem
Soph - Orgo, cell Bio
Jun - Physics, Genetics</p>

<p>Took MCAT after Junior year, after she was done with material needed for the MCAT. Biochem is required by very few schools. She is planning to take it in her senior year but only if she is applying to one school on her list that requires it, otherwise, it is covered in Med. School. Advice - take heavier load fresh./soph year. You will need lighter schedule during Junior year to have time to prep. for MCAT.</p>

<p>My state school only offers one semester of Gen Chemistry for science major followed by one year of ORG Chemistry. </p>

<p>Other recommended courses for Chemistry majors during sophomore year are:</p>

<p>1) Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
2) Equilibria and Electrochemistry </p>

<p>Would this satisfy the one-year Gen Chem requirement?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>^My advice is contact Med. School admissions from the list of schools that you are planning to apply. My D. has done a lot of contacting them directly, they are very willing to respond. It might be different from school to school.</p>

<p>Some colleges (such as Stanford) require Chem before Bio. For those colleges, Chem/Math/English is a standard regimen. Other colleges (Cornell) recommend both bio and chem Frosh year, particularly if you are an intended bio major who is planning to apply after Jr year.</p>

<p>MiamiDAP, bluebayou, and All,</p>

<p>Sorry, it is my bad. I did not realize that there is a second semester course (II) since it is not listed in the recommended course plan for either Chem or BioChem majors. The two courses are listed below.</p>

<p>The 1st course has the flavor of Gen Chem while the 2nd one does not. Would you think that the 2nd course may be acceptable to Med-schools?</p>

<p>Thanks </p>

<p>Principles of Chemistry and Biochemistry I (5 cr.)
An integrated lecture-laboratory course covering basic principles of chemistry and biochemistry, including applications to physiological (biochemical) functions.</p>

<p>Principles of Chemistry and Biochemistry II (5 cr.)
An integrated lecture-laboratory course introducing the basic principles of chemistry and biochemistry within the context of important social, political, economic and ethical issues. Topics include polymers, drug design, nutrition, genetic engineering, global warming, and alternative fuels. Second semester of a two-semester sequence.</p>

<p>ace:</p>

<p>Let me try this again: seek the premed/pre-health website at your college for the best info since the pre-health counselors at your college know the curriculum best. (Hint: IU does not recommend the second course that you list. They rec Chem 330 instead. If IU does not recommend it for premeds at even its own med school.......)</p>

<p>Premedical</a> Coursework - Health Professions and Prelaw Center - Indiana University - University Division</p>

<p>bluebayou,</p>

<p>Thanks for the hint. I can see that IU medical school would recognize the course options. However, other medical schools may not like that. Therefore, the student does need to call each targeted medical school (suggested by MiamiDAP) and hope that the admcom would maintain their positions. IU does make it unnecessarily difficult for the premed kids, right?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>ace:</p>

<p>Think about it: why would any other university give you credit for something that your own university does not recommend? It is an unnatural act for them. Plus, you will need recs from your college. If the college recommends 'x' (for whatever reason), and you take path 'y'.....is the counselor/prof gonna sing your praises for taking the 'easier' curriculum?</p>

<p>Also, talk to your pre-med advisor. He is more familiar with courses at your school and if they are covering Med. School Reqs. D. did it all the time. Pre-med advisor at your UG is primary source of all Med. School application information.</p>

<p>

Wrong. If I listened to anything my pre-med advisor told me from when I started, I would be in some seriously deep ****. Don't know how they got their jobs because all they have is a very superficial sense of the difficulty of the courses/don't take the time to really analyze if you would be able to handle it. I find it more applicable to ask upper-class students who I can identify with (intelligence-wise/study-habit-wise) who have already taken the class.</p>

<p>But what do I know? MiamiDAP knows much more than I since his/her "D" is such a godsend. Woo pre-med advisor!</p>

<p>All,</p>

<p>Thanks. I Will advise my kid to proceed with caution.</p>

<p>Acceptd,
You must have bad pre-med advisory board. It is not the case at most schools. They are interested at placing their graduates into Med. Schools, that is how they are building reputation of their UG. They are usually very helpful and supportive. It has been great at D's school. She has confirmed their recommendations by contacting Med. Schools admissions directly, and they have also been very helpful and respond quickly to all inquiries.</p>

<p>accepted:</p>

<p>Instead of lashing out at an anonymous parent poster (who is just giving advice -- what cc is most useful for), perhaps you should direct your angst at your college (Tufts?) and then ask yourself why you are spending $50k/year for poor advising. In any rate, IMO Tufts has a pretty good website covering the basics, which is really all any Frosh needs to know.</p>

<p>Tufts</a> University - Health Professions Advising</p>

<p>@ MiamiDAP, No, I don't have a bad pre-med advisory board.
Pre-med</a> advisors | Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ] | Student Doctor Network
There seems to be enough anecdotes there to refute your unfounded claim that it is not the case at most schools. Once again, just because it is "great" at your D's state univ. does not mean it applies to every college in the nation.</p>

<p>@bluebayou - Not directing "angst," (PS not the word you were looking for) at anyone or anything. If you mean trying to correct MiamiDAP's extremely annoying habits of boasting about her kid/etc, well then sure.

Sure, our pre-med advising at Tufts is reputable - as plenty of people treat it as the golden rule of thumb. But for me at least, it has fallen short of my expectations and did not tell me anything I didn't already know. And I don't like their style of advising - PM if you want specifics.</p>

<p>In my opinion, anything and everything you need to know about the process can be found either on CC or SDN. For difficulties of school-specific classes/opportunities/etc, those questions can be directed at those in the classes ahead of you.</p>

<p>^ You need to cool down. "anything and everything you need to know about the process can be found either on CC or SDN." is stirirng a lot of people into wrong direction. Yes, it is helpful, but CC and SDN dont know about speicifics of particular UG and Med. school. Direct help from proffesionals at UG and Med. School Adcoms should not be overlooked. Why not use what is available, free and involve proffessionals whose job is to help you?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Actually, it was.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Fair enough. But for my money, I fully believe a private college should have "solid" advising as well; IMO, "solid" advising means more than what you (or I) already know. "Solid academics" are available at many college, including my instate publics at less than half the cost. I guess on this we'll just have to agree to disagree.</p>