Where do i belong?

<p>hey, so i'm currently a freshmen in college and i need help finding my major. i think it has something to do with engineering so here i am. but i also understand engineering has many different branches, and i'm not sure which one i belong in, or if i belong in engineering at all. </p>

<p>i like to tinker with stuff, break things apart, see how each component works and it's role, and above all, i love making/inventing/building things, and they have to be things that operate and do something useful. i'm not really a software guy, i'm more of a hardware guy. also, i'm interested and curious about almost anything, whether it's the way a bird sits or how a cell works, i'm a curious about the randomest things (i spend a lot of my time on wiki).</p>

<p>i don't quite know where i belong, i'm not asking anyone to tell me what i should be, i just need some clarifications on where i belong. i'm sure someone was in the same situation as me but eventually found what they loved to do, and i'd be grateful if anyone could lend me a hand. thanks.</p>

<p>Well, I'm a software person and not a hardware person, so I may not be much help. :P</p>

<p>Generally speaking a good way to figure out where you fit best is to just take classes and see what you like. Some courses you'll need for any engineering major (physics, math, CS1, general chem, etc), and that can help you figure out what you enjoy doing. For example, if you take a physics course and it makes you want to bash your head against a wall, try something that's not physics. If you take physics and really enjoy playing with circuitry, try taking another class about circuits. You won't know what you like until you start doing it, so look for classes that sound interesting and see if you still feel that way at the end of the semester.</p>

<p>/not helpful</p>

<p>You are still in your first year so you will be taking basic courses in math and science mostly. Take this time to talk to other students who are taking engineering courses to understand where you might fit best. To me it sounds like you belong in some of the more traditional fields such as Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.</p>

<p>You bascially described what every engineer likes to do. You need to figure out what you want to work on. We all do the same sort of problem solving, just on different things. Whether it be Computers, Buildings, Airplanes, Motors, Systems, Logistics etc.</p>

<p>I am the parent of an engineering student. I would start with the school's website and read what they say about each of the types of engineering. You might want to do additional research after that, depending on what piques your interest.</p>

<p>My daughter figured out before the end of her h.s. senior year that she wanted to major in engineering. She listened to a general engineering presentation at one college visit. She came away thinking she would probably major in mechanical engineering because it seemed pretty generic. She wasn't excited about it, but she seemed satisfied that it would lend itself to many different types of jobs.</p>

<p>At another college visit, we attended an all day engineering presentation. When she heard the industrial and systems department presentation, she knew that was exactly what she wanted to do. She is very happy with her choice of major and will be graduating this year.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>thanks everyone for your responses. and failure622, your post was very helpful, thank you. like you guys said, i'm going to continue exploring different subjects and try and enroll in an engineering class at my school. </p>

<p>but now the dilemma that still bugs me... i'm wasting my time not having any experience and i want to enjoy some engineering-related hobby hands on. i know steve jobs and wozniak had fun in their younger days messing with circuit boards and whatnot. do you guys know any good kits or anything that is a good engineering-related hobby? i want to test and see if i really enjoy this stuff. thanks</p>