Where do you draw the line?

<p>My Ds JROTC instructor is requiring the senior students to bring him their college acceptance letters, and their award letters. Its get better, (It’s for the final exam). Brief history on the instructor;</p>

<p>Numerous times in these four years I have had to email him for grade corrections. 100’s that turn into 0s, 0 for inspections when she was excused for the day. The latest was in March. He was going to require that the students bring in 50.00 for his charity. If they did not they would receive a 0 in participation, 20% of their grade. My D told her counselor that she felt she was being extorted. The counselor had words with him and it was dropped. I could go on, but I’m sure you get it. Now this! My problem with this is;</p>

<p>What about the students that are not going to college?
What about the students who applied and didn’t get accepted to college?
What part of the award letter has anything to do with finals?
Who does he think he is to see the student’s private information?
How is he going to grade the rest of the students? They won’t have letters</p>

<p>My D has given her acceptance letter to her GC (they never even asked for an award letter). To me it seems this program has been able to do anything they have wanted. Now I think its time the line is drawn. What do you think?</p>

<p>I think that this instructor sounds like he's nuts. It's none of his business.</p>

<p>Not only is he nuts, he's a nosy control freak. What if he asked for medical records? Tax returns?</p>

<p>If your daughter feels comfortable bringing her acceptance letter, she should go ahead. But the award letter requirement is bogus.....if it's need-based, do you really want this guy having some idea of your EFC?</p>

<p>It sounds like D's talking with counselor worked. I'd suggest more drop-in visits to the counselor.</p>

<p>This guy is out of line and it should be reported to the principal. Especially the charity extortion.</p>

<p>However -- personally I'd wait til your D received her final grade (if she hasn't already) and then complain / document it. I'd copy it to the principal and the superintendent / board of education.</p>

<p>Tell him you shredded all the acceptance letters EXCEPT where your kiddo is going...and send him that one. Then tell him you didn't apply for financial aid. </p>

<p>That way your kid will get her grade (since you say this is the final). </p>

<p>After graduation...take this request which I assume was in writing...to the administration and tell them you plan to file a case against them for invasion of privacy.</p>

<p>^its except, not accept</p>

<p>Unbelievable! Take the advice here, and definitely follow up. This guy has to be stopped.</p>

<p>How in the world is any of that any of his business? ESPECIALLY the FA Award letters?</p>

<p>I'd inform the Principal of the instructor's demand ASAP. Our principal would flip out over something like this.</p>

<p>WOW, that's completely inappropriate. Is there anyone at the school you can talk to about this?</p>

<p>
[quote]
He was going to require that the students bring in 50.00 for his charity. If they did not they would receive a 0 in participation, 20% of their grade.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>My jaw literally dropped when I read this. How could he possibly think this was okay?</p>

<p>The point made that it is a final grade does concern me. He is very vindictive. I normally see all the teachers on report card pick up, even the non academic teachers. When I walked past him, and just spoke without going to his class. The next day he decides that he would grade on the parents that came to see him for report card pick up. Of course my daughter could not receive credit, because he only came up with it after report card pick up. When he had to cancel his plan to grade on giving to hi charity, he made a point to tell the class that some one had reported it to the office. He knew it was my daughter but never said her name. (Because she was the only one who objected to the nonsense). So yes my approach here is going to be important. With that being said; If you don’t stand for something you’ll fall for anything.</p>

<p>I think I would have drawn the line a little earlier personally... I'm pretty sure if a teacher for an academic class demanded $50 as part of the grade, they'd be fired. </p>

<p>What's going to happen if she doesn't give him the award letters?</p>

<p>She says that he said she will fail the final.</p>

<p>I would have your daughter go to the GC and say, "ROTC instructor wants a copy of my acceptance letter. I gave you my only copy (or I lost my copy after I gave you a copy). Could I have a copy from you?" Have every kid in the class do this. The message should get through. I would think that with privacy laws, this instructor is walking a fine line anyway. And I agree with the above poster that the financial award is none of anyone's business and the "we didn't apply for aid" statement should cover that.</p>

<p>I like the advice in post no. 6. And I'd be documenting everything and as soon as the report card is in hand I'd take it to the principal and school board. He's nuts.</p>

<p>What I would do. </p>

<p>Double and triple check with other kids and their parents to see that your daughter understood all of this correctly. </p>

<p>If correct, I'd tackle this now. What's stopping him from messing with your daughter anyway - regardless if she toes the line? Nothing. Your only control of the situation is to control the situation, not let the situation control you or your daughter. The only way to hurt a control freak is to take away their control. The heck with guidance. If the principal doesn't deal with this whole issue immediately, I'd raise the roof. This includes taking the teacher out of the final grade equation as obviously the relationship is poisoned at this point. </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>I agree. He's crossing the line. He needs to be stopped...or better yet, fired.</p>

<p>The only way this will happen is if his actions are reported to the GC, principal, and ultimately school board. Document all communication with him, gather proof. </p>

<p>After the report card is back and your D's grade is safe, get other parents on your side to help build this case. I think you can act preemptively in terms of informing GC about teacher's planned final BEFORE he administers it, but in terms of actually trying to get this sicko fired, well, you should wait on that one ;).</p>

<p>I once had a teacher that had a class activity (not for points or grade) in which students listed all the schools they had been accepted to and said which one they were attending aloud to the class. I thought this was pretty inappropriate, and it upset me. But this comes nowhere close to what you and your D are having to go through. Good luck.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The point made that it is a final grade does concern me. He is very vindictive. I normally see all the teachers on report card pick up, even the non academic teachers. When I walked past him, and just spoke without going to his class. The next day he decides that he would grade on the parents that came to see him for report card pick up.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>What the hell? Each bone-chilling new revelation makes me hope more and more that he gets fired.</p>

<p>My personal thoughts on this situation are: Protect your daughter's situation first with the steps many have recommended above; then go beyond. </p>

<p>Someone above asked you, rhetorically, if she's sure she understood him correctly. My addition: Be sure your D can THINK (don't ask around) of a few other students who can eventually (not now) corroborate that he actually said in class the $ had to be given to the charity relative to the grade he'd give == and that he wasn't just mentioning it as a worthy activity, worthy of $50, in some teaching-point example etc etc.</p>

<p>Hold your fire about getting him fired until your D graduates, then fire away. If it's a firable situation the documentation is as good later as in this moment. </p>

<p>And I'd be going directly to the principal Tuesday morning with a meeting for full disclosure to him of all you've said above here. Forget the GC as middleperson == who knows how the GC relates to this one or that one. This situation is nuts and the principal IMO needs to prohibit that teacher NOW from doing something like failing your daughter since he's obviously onto her. Ask the principal to take complete control now over the situation of your daughter's final grade and by extension, ask for equal consideration to the entire class who don't have parental spokesmen such as you. Then you'll be helping more than your daughter. Good luck with this loco.</p>

<p>I agree with the above. The GC has no authority/power over this "teacher". The appropriate person to direct your concerns is the principal, then the superintendent over the principal. Even better, see if your school district has a formal complaint process (which it should).</p>