Where do you have the most success with YOUR clothes shopping?

<p>Bra extenders change where the shoulder straps lie- they tend to slip off the shoulders, have them (easy to find- Walmart). Stores many of you use are not local for me- that influences shopping a lot. Try finding a 38A or 42B bra size also. Not to mention the industrial strength support that is unneeded. Did someone think one size fits all? The heels are on the sole, the inseam puts hose at the knees, too short, too tight (even when at good weight for height), too much space in the cup… Shoes too wide for length, not available in the 1/2 size…</p>

<p>Cartera, the “younger crowd” needs less engineering for their bras.</p>

<p>I had not been into a Victoria’s Secret for years until last summer and I was surprised at the “normal” bras they had. I thought they were all lace or pushup or glamour somehow - I guess the commercials wouldn’t make me think that would they? Anyway, they had very ordinary bras, including an all cotton line and cotton racerbacks at 2 for $40.</p>

<p>VeryHappy - so true. I can remember in high school, I would reach up to the top shelf of my locker and my bra would pop up to my throat - there was nothing there to anchor it.</p>

<p>Gap Body sells a very nice, smooth very highly padded A cup that fits me and makes it look as though I have breasts. </p>

<p>And no, I’m not the same size I was in 1985. A 1985 4 = a 2008 2 or even zero. I always wonder what the true zeroes wear now…I guess 00. </p>

<p>My 13 year old wears a 00, 34" length in jeans. Delias is the only store with jeans that fit her.</p>

<p>missypie, are you really smaller in size/weight than you were in 1985 or do you just fit into smaller sizes (which would affirm my theory that clothes are being made bigger with the same smaller size on them)</p>

<p>

I wear a 32DD and the only way I can get what I need is to order from JC Penney online. It stinks to be an off size.</p>

<p>I can wear a kids 14 in pants, as well, but at my age what would I do with them? I used to get a 0 at Petite Sophisticate, but I haven’t bought any clothes for myself since the store closed.</p>

<p>It’s definitely true that equivalent sizes are much larger now than what they were 20 or 25 years ago. I have a couple of size 8 dresses that date from the 1980’s that fit me just fine, then and now – I’m basically the same size now that I was then. But now I wear a size 4, or more often a 2, and I have some size 2 skirts in certain brands that practically fall off me because the waists are too big. And I’m not that skinny. Really. I can’t even imagine what someone who was a size 2 back then would wear now. Do they have negative size numbers?</p>

<p>I own a few Diane von Furstenberg wrap dresses, and DVF is well-known for running small, and not ever having changed their sizing. So for DVF and DVF only, I still take a size 8.</p>

<p>Donna</p>

<p>PS: My son has some old boys’ size 14 blue jeans that don’t fit him anymore. If they were in better shape, I’d be tempted to wear them, because they do fit me, kind of.</p>

<p>I agree that it would be nice if retailers would carry bras in larger band sizes with small cup sizes. My D who just graduated from college would really appreciate it! She needs a 36A and it is tough to find. (We are certain that she is wearing the correct bra size.) She’s very slender, but has broad shoulders and a broad chest. </p>

<p>While I’m griping, :), I wish that retailers in my area would carry more small sizes. Kohl’s is the only local store that seems to get more than one piece of an item in my size. I usually wear a 4. My local Penney’s, Dillard’s, and Macy’s stores never seem to get more than one piece in my size, but the racks are loaded with 12s, 14s, and 16s. Penney’s is the worst offender. I know that the average woman is larger than I, but it would be nice if my size were available too. I frequently have the experience of seeing some cute new item in a store and discovering that the ONE size 4 that was ordered by the buyer has already been purchased by someone else. I can’t get over feeling that surely there are more grown women in my area who are as small or smaller than I. (I’m 5’4" and weigh 125.) I don’t want to wear junior size clothes and I usually can’t fit into petite sizes - I am long waisted and have long arms and legs. Why can’t our local stores accomodate those of us who are smaller than size 12?</p>

<p>In a related rant, why do certain jeans makers assume that if a woman wears a smaller size, she must have very short legs? Several times I have tried on a pair of misses size jeans that have fit very nicely except for the length. The rise will be correct, but the legs are so short that the jeans look wrong even if I wear flats. My husband bought me a pair of Izod jeans from Penney’s for Christmas that had to go back because of the ridiculously short inseam. I know that I said my legs are relatively long, but they are not so long that I should be having trouble with jeans! My inseam is only about 30". This has only been a problem for me in recent years. When I was in college, and considerably thinner, I could never find a pair of jeans that did not need to be hemmed. No matter how high the heel on my boots, I always had to shorten my jeans. Now, I often find jeans to be too short. Methinks the manufacturers are cutting costs by cutting smaller sizes shorter. I think they assume that anyone who wears a smaller size must be short.</p>

<p>Pet Peeve - womens tops that are TOO SHORT :frowning: I HATE the feeling of my stomach or hips being exposed every time I bend or stretch, and I’m not even particularly tall.</p>

<p>Old Navy seems to make things shorter and wider with each passing year. And the pants are made with ridiculously wide, rounded hips that bubble out at the sides.</p>

<p>GAP online has some long lengths and tall sizes, but they are not cheap, and none of the tall sizes (for men OR women) are carried in the stores. Same goes for Eddie Bauer-- tall sizes are catalog and online only, and they charge a fortune for shipping. Bleh.</p>

<p>I have had good luck with sales at Macy’s. Recently bought a beautiful sweater there for $12.00! Also, I like Ann Taylor Loft, check out the sale racks in the back. I buy a lot of my work clothes there.</p>

<p>Someone mentioned having trouble getting pants/jeans long enough. Me too. I am 5’7" which is on the tall side but not exactly unusual. Regular length pants are frequently an inch or two “too short” unless I wear flats and I like to wear heels to work. I have had some luck ordering pants in the “medium-tall” size at LL Bean ( they even have some styles of dress pants) and recently I found a pair of black slacks on sale at Ann Taylor Loft in “tall”, they were too long, but so cheap ($18), I bought them anyway and had a tailor hem them.</p>

<p>I also wear narrow (AA) shoes. That’s another story again. I usually have to bite the bullet and buy from Talbots. They have been offering 20% discount coupons lately, so that helps.</p>

<p>For the above reason, as well as budget, we are not big shoppers. Today, however, D1, D2 and I went to a Gap outlet, and bought:</p>

<p>1 (girls) hooded cardigan sweater/jacket
1 pair ladies capri pants
1 camisole
1 rugby shirt
2 ladies long-sleeved knit shirts
1 ladies short-sleeved tee
1 bottle GAP perfume/cologne</p>

<p>The total was $103 dollars, which wasn’t too bad, and our spring clothing needs are now pretty much covered.</p>

<p>Many of my everyday things come from Banana Republic, Nordstrom, J. Crew, Bloomies. I also get some pieces from Gap, Anthropologie, Anne Taylor. Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus are great for suits. For dresses I do better at boutiques. Nordstrom (they are great for wide width) and local places for shoes. The fitters at Saks and Nordstrom are great for undergarments - and from what I can see they don’t promote any particular lines. The fitter at our Saks was the role model for a Sex and the City episode! </p>

<p>Speaking of basics, these things are amazing - incredibly lightweight and comfortable: </p>

<p>[Yummie</a> Tummie - Shapewear and Body Shapers](<a href=“http://www.yummietummie.com/?gclid=CNXAvaiX4pgCFQxKGgodQCnydA]Yummie”>http://www.yummietummie.com/?gclid=CNXAvaiX4pgCFQxKGgodQCnydA)</p>

<p>Hmm - didn’t kow Ann Taylor carried tall sizes. Good to know.
LLBean used to carry lots of their womens’ shirt styles in tall, but very few nowadays. Their regular-length polos and tees are just way too short for me at this point, and they get shorter with washing/drying.</p>

<p>I also hate short tops- for an average height person, I have a long torso. Eddie Bauer makes almost all their sweaters and tops in a “tall” variation, and they are a big improvement. Just don’t buy anything with long sleeves- the sleeves are a few inches longer, too.</p>

<p>My D1 has quite the unique shape to her, so when she finds something that fits her well, she stocks up, she loves Joe’s Honey Booty jeans, but she is petite so she always has to get them tailored for length. Also, since she has been weight training she has had difficulty looking for a size 38A bra. We always pick up stuff at Lululemon Athletica when we are in Canada for D2’s hockey tournaments…</p>

<p>We get most stuff mail order from places that don’t have stores here - Anthropologie, Nordstrom and Vineyard Vines, though we do have J Crew and Banana Republic. I think if they ever put a Nordstrom in Rochester (with a Trader Joes next to it) I would be able to die in peace…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Not nearly short enough, in my 26" inseam experience!</p>

<p>I guess they can’t win.</p>

<p>Ha—I find the same problems with jeans, depending on the brand. They are generally too long (oh, I’m supposed to wear 4 inch heels with these?) or the waist is cut way too large (to allow for the extra fat most teenage girls seems to carry around these days.)</p>

<p>I’m the same size as 25 years ago (slender) and yes, sizes have shrunk.</p>

<p>Some of my best buys are at thrift or consignment shops. Really nice, expensive blouses & sweaters I wouldn’t have bought first time around, but for minimal $. I’m also cautious about trends, so by the time something new hits the second-hand shops, I’ve decided I like it. Or not.</p>

<p>Rachacha - I probably have a similar build to your daughter, though am probably taller. I’ve always had very wide shoulders and long arms, so end up buying things that are bigger than I’d like because I hate that restricted feeling-- esp. in blazers and coats.</p>

<p>And don’t get me started on bras! Wide shoulders but flat as a board. </p>

<p>And that’s as graphic as I intend to get. :D</p>