Where do you have the most success with YOUR clothes shopping?

<p>I don’t think I own a pair of pants that HASN’T needed to be hemmed. I’m not short (about 5’6.5") but my legs apparently are. Fortunately my mom is good at hemming…but I need to learn sometime.</p>

<p>I like Seven7 jeans (not the Seven for All Mankind ones). They fit well, and they’re darker wash. You can find them on sale sometimes for about $20. I find I can’t wear any of the “designer” jeans that are sized in waist sizes; my legs are really muscular from playing sports and they just don’t fit. But most girls at my college do wear the designer jeans.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I feel your pain! D2 discovered that store on a holiday shopping trip to NY a few years ago–good thing we don’t live in the NY area. She also discovered Barney’s. The bad news is Barney’s opened a store in Boston a few years ago. </p>

<p>As for clothes for the “mature” woman–I usually end up at Nordstrom’s or Bloomingdales or the end-of-the-season sale rack at Neiman Marcus. I also buy from Eileen Fisher (there’s a store in Boston) and from the Garnet Hill catalogue.</p>

<p>mom60, I’ve never been in a Walmart either. We live in an area with tons of great stores (including a Target), most only 10 minutes away, but Walmart isn’t one of them.</p>

<p>As for Bendel’s: I grew up in NYC, and one of my mother’s close friends worked there. She was one of the best-dressed women I’ve ever seen, and used to buy things for my mother with her discount that were invariably elegant and beautiful.</p>

<p>I’ve been looking (not very hard, admittedly) for a pair of jeans that I can tuck into boots. The specifics: Dark blue (none of that weird fake worn in look); NO stitched designs, rhinestones, etc. on the back pocket – just plain; high enough in the waist to prevent muffin top but not high enough to qualify as “mom” jeans; snug but not tight (I have no “cougar” aspirations!); and a little stretch. Oh, and under $80 max. Has anyone seen these jeans?</p>

<p>And as long as people are talking bras, here’s what I want: bras with no underwire (I’ve never understood this concept not being overly endowed myself. Does the wire actually DO anything for you, if you’re a larger cup size?); no heavy padding but lined enough that I don’t salute everyone I meet, and smooth cups so I can wear them under T-shirts. This is much harder to find than you’d think.</p>

<p>Someone asked about long tops – there are several brands out now that make nice, long, soft cotton-knit tops, like Splendid, which is pricey but you can sometimes find them, and similar brands/styles, at Loehmann’s. My daughter turned me on to those. They tend to be for smaller women though.</p>

<p>Speaking of shopping with daughters, this brings up another consideration, which is trying to figure out what suits me at my age (50). I am small, so can fit into my D’s clothes, but most of her clothes don’t suit me for obvious reasons (although I have borrowed her old prom dresses for black tie events!). I don’t want to look like a 20 or 30 year old, but I don’t want that dreaded matronly look either (the way our mothers dressed at 50). I guess that age old question (what to wear?) just never goes away.</p>

<p>Have you tried Coscto? I have had a lot of success getting pants there and know they sometimes carry jeans as well (tho have been buying black slacks for a slightly more professional look).</p>

<p>It is very challenging to find bras w/o underwires (but have had occasional success). It is also tough to find them with a wider strap so you don’t have grooves where it digs into your shoulders and wide enough bands to provide real support. It seems pretty elementary to design a decent garment that would do the basic job and be comfortable but it seems there is more money in sexier styles with matching bottoms, etc. I HATE shopping for lingerine! The underwire can actually provide SOME support but so could proper engineering; they can get misshapen and need to be tossed as well. Have been trying to avoid them but it’s challenging. Never could understand why they provide so much padding for larger cups and underwires for the smaller cups–equal opportunity? Don’t understand why you have to buy special undergarments to wear under knits & t-shirts–all should be made suitable to wear under such clothing!</p>

<p>I try not to wear anything that might be found in either of my sisters’ closets & that tends to be a good path for me. I like knit tops from Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and similar. I like fitted, tailored slacks. I also wear nice t-shirts & polo shirts. It isn’t an issue of D & me wearing similar clothing–she’s quite petite and wears styles I have never been able to wear. She does sometimes wear AT & BR tops I get her :)</p>

<p>If you have not been in a Victoria Secret in a long time it might be worth a look. I have always had a hard time finding a good fitting bra. Several years ago a friend took me to a specialty shop. I purchased 2 bras that fit like a glove. They were super expensive made in Europe. I avoided Victoria Secret since I could never find anything that fit. When my girls started wearing bras they took me into Victoria Secret. The saleswoman convinced me to let her have a try to find me a bra that fit. I walked out with two. I am not large chested. The bras are smooth enough to wear under t shirts. One I like has a small amount of padding, the other not much at all. They are in the Body by Victoria line. I think it comes in an underwire style.
I also have a hard time finding plain t shirts to wear with jeans. I want them long enough that when I sit down my back is not exposed at all! I like lower waisted pants. I also don’t want the t shirt to be skin tight. What I have been doing is wearing a longer length tank top from J crew under sweaters and t’s.</p>

<p>lspf72, you might like Undertease tops – sometimes available at Nordstrom but I have ordered online. They are long tops (tanks or cap sleeve) of a cotton, modal, spandex combo. Nice because they stay put, and they also kind of smooth out the torso area. I’ve had a couple for over a year and they hold their shape and color well. The website is www(dot)undertease(dot)com – just checked it and I see that some colors/styles are on sale for around $20 (regularly around $30). The sizing is kind of obnoxious (“cutie” or “hottie” instead of XS, S, etc.), but I really like the tops as a layering piece. Click “News” on the site for video of the tops.</p>

<p>My favorite jeans are no longer Levis. I guess I have worn Levis from age 13 until just a couple of years ago. Now I rotate 3 pairs of LL Bean blue jeans.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure Wacoal makes a non underwire smooth bra - that brand can be found in lots of stores. If you have access to a Nordstrom, they have a huge selection and have a huge selection online too. Perhaps a sports type bra would work - they look much more like regular bras than they did years ago. A good bra is often expensive. If you find one you like though, you can then often find them cheaper online. Overstock. com is one place to check.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Bela, try NYDJ - they fit your description (can be faound for $40 or so at Nordstrom Rack). They make slim jeans that you can wear tucked into tall boots, and there are bootcut styles as well.</p>

<p>[Not</a> Your Daughter’s Jeans](<a href=“http://www.notyourdaughtersjeans.com/index.php?page=detail&catID=5&pID=40&filterSize=&filterColor=&sort=sort]Not”>http://www.notyourdaughtersjeans.com/index.php?page=detail&catID=5&pID=40&filterSize=&filterColor=&sort=sort)</p>

<p>Speaking of $200 jeans, Rock&Republic came out with a lower-priced line of jeans appropriately called Recession. They (gasp!) cost only $140 :eek:</p>

<p>[Vivre</a> Magazine.com - Fashion, News & Style Updates » Blog Archive » Rock & Republic “Limited Edition” Recession Jeans](<a href=“http://vivremagazineonline.com/2009/01/26/rock-republic-limited-edition-recession-jeans/]Vivre”>http://vivremagazineonline.com/2009/01/26/rock-republic-limited-edition-recession-jeans/)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>What’s next - the Depression line? H thinks they have to come out with a men’s line called the Bailout.</p>

<p>I had great luck yesterday at Marshall’s! It looks like our store got a lot of new stuff. Maybe it was stuff that didn’t sell at the Dept Stores during the holidays.</p>

<p>I found a darling pair of black patent leather flats by Me Too for $10. Marshall’s original price was $29.99 (dept store price $60). They had my size (8 1/2) and I can never have too many pairs of black flats.</p>

<p>Then I was to going through their jeans and found a pair of Big Star which is a brand I have purchased at Nordstrom when they were on sale for about $55. They had a pair in a 28 long that were only $24.99! I am going to wear these with pumps or heeled boots as they are long, but I was so happy with my great finds!</p>

<p>Just got back from Goodwill…three pairs of black slacks for $22. One pair…Talbots (poly, cotton, spandex blend…look like Chicos slacks), one pair of Chaps Ralph Lauren (with tags on…silk/cotton/spandex blend) and a pair of fully lined black wool slacks…very nice. All fit perfectly!!</p>

<p>Wow, great finds! I’m impressed! It is amazing what folks discard sometimes. My experience with thrift shops has been very “hit & miss.” I generally find it more fruitful to just find things on sale/clearance at local stores & hem as needed. Have found a few good things for my kids, especially when they were in rapid growth spurts, but many here tend to wear things a great deal before giving them up to thrift shops.</p>

<p>I have also never had much luck with thrift stores. I rarely go since I find it usually is a waste of time.
I also have noticed that many people who used to clean out the closet and donate are now taking the nicer items to the consignment shops.</p>

<p>My DD’s have decided they want to have a garage sale in the spring and use the money from selling their old clothes to buy new ones.</p>

<p>My youngest DD (14) has always been a bit of a clothes horse, but with that said she works (pet sitting) and pays for the expensive things she buys herself or asks family for them for Christmas and birthdays. She has always been very tiny and wore kids sizes. Now she is almost 5’5" but still wears a double zero for pants. So she has many items she has outgrown that she has kept very nice and does not want to just give away.</p>

<p>My girls have designer jeans, Juicy Couture jackets, designer purses and shoes that either don’t fit or they don’t like any longer. I also have stuff that needs cleared from the garage so I think a garage sale for spring clothes is a great idea!</p>

<p>Wow - you guys have pretty nice thrift stores. No such luck here.</p>

<p>And ditto on the underwire bras. Obviously invented by a man…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t have a lot of patience with thrift stores, but I do donate a lot. Remember that some people change sizes frequently. Our “kids” now wear adult sizes, but at any given time, they’ll have a growth spurt and the two month old jeans won’t fit anymore. And, of course, adults gain weight - and lose it also. Lots of reasons why stylish clothes end up in thrift stores.</p>

<p>Also, people die. My DH just donated his brother’s entire wardrobe to Goodwill. BIL passed away last summer.</p>

<p>and zipyourlips-- will check out Undertease next time I’m over near Nordstrom’s. After years of not finding things I like, I’ve pretty much given up on lingerie departments!</p>

<p>I hated underwire bras too until I bought one that fit and I don’t know it’s there. I had been wearing ill fitted ones for years - and cheap ones. I can wear cheap shoes - not cheap bras.</p>