where should a recent college grad look to get an Accounting job?

<p>I have no experience in Accounting and a GPA of 3.4.</p>

<p>Learn how to interview well so you can make the few interviews you can get count. Volunteer at VITA IRS during tax season. Pass your CPA exam. Get a job to pay bills and avoid a resume gap. Network at CAL CPA chapter meetings. Network at IMA chapter meetings. NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK!</p>

<p>Get used to rejection and stay optimistic. You need work experience of some kind check out local non-profits that may have overburdened accounting departments. You can work unpaid internships at these nonprofits that look very good on a resume.</p>

<p>Ideally you should have been seeking employment since junior year and built a network. Some of the recruiters I know have the philosophy that if they don't know you by your senior year they won't give you an interview. They assume you were either too lazy to network or you were out of touch with reality. (it is really tough out here in california)</p>

<p>I went to one of the ****tiest CSU's and due to good networking I had a job offer before my junior year ended.</p>

<p>I live in the Torrance CA area. Where can I go to one of these chapter meetings. Do I need to be a member. Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://www.calcpa.org/content/chapters.aspx%5DChapters%5B/url"&gt;http://www.calcpa.org/content/chapters.aspx]Chapters[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>Also learn how to behave around silly partners that are very judgmental and basically rule the firm with an iron fist. Partners control everything from hiring, to compensation to promotion. I know a guy that has a sweet job with a local firm. He graduated with a 2.3 gpa and he doesn't even understand the most basic accounting concepts. A partner took a liking to him so he now has a good job. He will in all likelihood get this firm sued. I have a bet about that with a few of my other friends. Dress conservatively don't use slang terms and speak articulately. Act like a 40 year old not a 23 year old. If a CPA takes out out for dinner to begin an interview process don't drink more than he or she does and have good table manners.</p>

<p>Night</p>