Which Engineering Discipline is Involved in The Efforts of The Oil Spill Crisis?

<p>Is it petroleum engineerinf or civil?</p>

<p>Or chemical or mechanical... They would all be involved in this current crisis.</p>

<p>Mechanical in terms of undergraduate curriculum. Mechanical is far more involved in the current 'spill' efforts than anything else.</p>

<p>Both the riser-insertion-tube and the top hat designs would be something that is primarily mechanical. The top kill technique would primarily be pure petroleum engineering.</p>

<p>To be honest, these techniques are pretty much 'spit ballin' as they've never been tried this deep and they had to be adapted super quickly (and real engineering takes time).</p>

<p>Civil engineering.</p>

<p>Directly involved, I would say petroleum, mechanical, civil, environmental, and chemical. Indirectly involved, I would say electrical and CS (software). Throw in a few geologists, chemists, biologists, and the random physicist.</p>

<p>Managing all those people? A lawyer...</p>

<p>
[quote]
Both the riser-insertion-tube and the top hat designs would be something that is primarily mechanical. The top kill technique would primarily be pure petroleum engineering.

[/quote]
This would be correct. The former possibly including civil. I don't see where chemical would fit in except for the planes that fly over the spill spraying dispersants, however I would view that as more of a chemist's problem than a chemical engineer's problem but it could involve both.</p>

<p>I imagine it will be largely work done by chemical and materials engineers involved in the cleanup.</p>

<p>"real engineering takes time"
- Agreed. What these people are doing now is not so much "engineering" as it is tossing pooh at a hole spewing crude oil and seeing whether they can make it stick.</p>

<p>All of them at some level, honestly. Materials/chemical for whatever they use to clean it up and failure analysis afterward, computer for modeling where it's going to go, mechanical for some of the stuff they're trying to do to make it stop, etc.</p>