Which is a better schedule for senior year?

I’m planning on majoring in medicine, and I’m debating which schedule I should go for as a Senior (Currently a Sophomore).

Ap English
Ap Stats
Civics/economics.
Medical occupation
Medical occupation
Leadership

OR
English (Honors?)
Ap Stats
Civics/economics
Ap psychology
Biomed (Another AP Science?)
Leadership

I like the first schedule, because in med occupation I can go to a hospital and see what it’s actually like, but I might be on the struggle bus with Ap English. I’m not sure if I should do med occupation with a less APs or take more APs but no medical occupation.

First, there is no such thing as majoring in medicine. Students in undergrad may be premed which means they intend to go to med school after graduating. Premed requires a certain standard set of courses (in college, not in high school) but you can major in anything.

To answer your question, neither schedule is better than the other for premed but they both look strange. You should be taking one each of english, history, math, science, and foreign language, and then fill in with an elective or two. When I look at your schedule I don’t see science, or foreign language. Most people interested in medicine are taking AP Bio or Chem. Have you already taken them?

I just realized you said you were a sophomore. Why are you asking about a senior schedule? What are taking next year?

2 Likes

A good schedule would look like this:
AP English or English Honors
AP Bio or AP Chem
Precalculus Honors or AP Calc AB
Social Science (psychology, world history…)
Foreign language level 4
elective
elective

The electives can be Biomed OR Medical occupation OR leadership, but you need 5 solid academic classes.

Junior year would like include:
AP English or English Honors
Algebra2H or Precalculus
US History H (or APUSH)
Physics Honors or AP Physics 1
Foreign Language 3
Elective
Elective

Medicine is not a major. Premed is not a major either. It’s just an intention. (If a university offers “premed” as a major, DO NOT take it: med schools want students who can handle a major AND the premed pre-reqs AND get A’s in both. If you can’t handle the major and the pre-reqs, then you’re unlikely to be able to handle what med school throws at you.) You can major in anything: biochemistry, statistics, music, Spanish, anthropology…

1 Like