Which Is Better to Transfer into Gtown?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am trying to decide between two ways of transferring into georgetown university. I just finished my freshman year at the university of mary washington with a 2.3 gpa... i know. Which of the two options would give me a better chance at getting into georgetown?</p>

<p>1) Transfer to VCU for the spring 2011 semester with a clean slate, and get very good grades. Then try to transfer to Georgetown for either the fall 2011 semester or the summer 2012 semester.</p>

<p>2)Stay at Mary Washington, try to boost my gpa, and then transfer to georgetown. the reason for my low gpa was due to being completely lazy and immature my first semester... i failed a class. If i retake the class, my new grade trumps the old one, but the F still shows up on my transcript... it just doesn't count towards my cumulative gpa.</p>

<p>So what's the better option? Start over at VCU with a brand new gpa, or stay at mary washington and try to fix the mess i made?</p>

<p>You can't start over at VCU with a brand new GPA. It doesn't work like that.</p>

<p>taken from their transfer q & a website VCU</a> Office of Undergraduate Admissions – Transfer students</p>

<p>"Do my transfer courses affect my VCU GPA?
No, your VCU GPA will be based on courses taken at VCU only."</p>

<p>^^yes, but Georgetown will want to see a transcript from MW. With a sub-3.0, IMO is due, you would only have one semester of Year 2, so your gpa will still be way to low for consideration (unless you are hooked). Being lazy and immature is not a good explanation for a transfer app.</p>

<p>The question is pretty simple: which one of those options is better? Thats all i'm asking. No need to divulge into my past laziness and immaturity, everyone has problems at some point in their life, and I wouldn't use that argument in transfer app. I would play it off a different way. Also, I would stay at VCU at least a year, if not more, before transferring. I don't mind spending an extra year in college if I get into Georgetown.</p>

<p>lol no wonder my friends told me to stay away from this site, they said its full of parents and students giving away false information to discourage others from applying to their schools. after reading a bunch of threads in the past hour, im completely convinced this is the case.</p>

<p>The better "option" is to stay. It will be next to impossible for you to explain to GU in a transfer application why you left MW and went to VCU for a year or so and now want to go to GU. The hard, cold fact is that you will need a 3.5+ to be competitive for a transfer to a highly selective college -- 3.8 is better. Do the math; calculate how many A's it would take to raise your gpa that high. You would also need a compelling story. Good luck.</p>

<p>btw: here are the facts, (as opposed to "false" information). A 3.3 is the bottom line for "consideration" for unhooked applicants.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Typically, a cumulative B+ average or higher is recommended for consideration for admission.

[/quote]
</p>

<p><a href="http://uadmissions.georgetown.edu/applying_transfer_preparation.cfm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://uadmissions.georgetown.edu/applying_transfer_preparation.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>madman, I don't attend Georgetown, will not attend Georgetown, and never applied to Georgetown. I'm not trying to steer you away from anything, I'm just giving you some facts. </p>

<p>If you transferred to VCU and got a 4.0, then tried to apply to Gtown, you could not report your GPA as 4.0. You'd have to supply your transcripts from MW as well.</p>

<p>Your best choice would be to stay at MW and try to shoot the lights out over the next year, then apply to transfer to Georgetown. Be warned that transfer admission is VERY competitive at Georgetown:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Georgetown receives approximately 1700 transfer applications each year and offers admission to approximately 20% of those students. Accepted transfer students come from a variety of institutions including community colleges and four-year universities. The average college GPA for an accepted transfer applicant is 3.7, and most transfer students were in the top 15% of their graduating high school class.

[/quote]
</p>