Which looks better for a top college?

<p>In my son's High school he can only be president of one organization during his senior year. I am taking a poll. Does it look better for colleges to be president of Model Congress or President of the Spanish Honor Society. He is passionate about both clubs and made President for both clubs but has to give up one President position in his senior year. According to the school you can only be president of one club although he has earned his position in both clubs. What does everyone think?? Any past experience with this?</p>

<p>I would say that he should pick the organization for which the president actually has more duties and responsibilities, and the organization which will actually be doing more. For example, if SHS is basically an honorary society that doesn't really do much, I'd pick the other one. And if there is one where he might have more of an effect and be able to institute new things, I would pick that one.</p>

<p>If these differences don't exist, I guess just flip a coin.</p>

<p>Agree with bovertine. It is not about the title of his position, or the club. It is more about what he accomplishes, leads and initiates in the activity. The one that interests him where he does that is the one to pick. I'm not sure what an Honor Society in Spanish does, but on the surface, the other one may do more (but I don't know for sure). Saying you are Pres of a club is not that meaningful. Talking about new initiatives you led and accomplished will matter much more.</p>

<p>If everything else is equal, I guess I'd say Model Congress, because to me that sounds more interesting. But I agree with the others.</p>

<p>^ Me too. (10 char)</p>

<p>I don't think it matters. If we're talking about really top colleges, being president of any in school club is not something they get excited about unless the club does something extraordinary.</p>

<p>Doesn't matter.</p>

<p>Let your KIDDO choose the one he wants to do.</p>

<p>^^^
I think the implication of the OP is that he can't decide and is equally passionate and interested in both. So it's an "all things being equal" question.</p>

<p>^Right--but if what's really going on here is that the parent thinks one is better and the kid thinks the other is better, I'd go with what the kid wants to do.</p>

<p>Either one but I just wanted to say I like this policy. My jr has had some issues with a couple of students hogging leadership positions. One went as far as to tell others that my daughter didn't need it because her grades were too good. This is at a relatively noncompetitive high school.</p>

<p>If gmabcd want us to think- all things are equal then I'd answer "congress" on the survey requested, but only by a slight edge.
The exception would be if the kid expects a career absolutely requiring speaking Spanish brilliantly, and his college degree would reflect that, then I'd give the slight edge to Spanish.</p>

<p>What does your child prefer to do since he can only do one?</p>

<p>I don't think my son has a preference. Of course it is 100% his decision! I think he find Model Congress more interesting. But what I really want to know is what do the colleges find to be more important</p>

<p>I'd say do the one that aligns best with his intended major or academic interest. </p>

<p>I've come to realize you can't predict what will impress colleges. Who knows, maybe the real answer is that they'd like to see him be VP of 2 clubs rather than Pres of 1. Silly, of course. Or is it? Who knows? One can go crazy trying to strategize down to this level. </p>

<p>Congrats to your son, GMABCD. He's obviously a high-achiever. That will come through on his app regardless of Congress or Spanish.</p>

<p>GMABCD....the colleges won't care WHICH club he is president of. They will care WHAT he accomplished with that activity. The title of the club or the position is not what matters.....it is what he achieves in that activity. Also, if the activity relates to other interests, all the better, but that alone is not crucial. Saying you are in a club or an officer isn't that meaningful on an application. Now, if you can annotate that to describe initiatives you took that made a difference, accomplishments you achieved, leadership you carried out, etc.....that is what will matter.....and if your recs also speak to similar stuff, all the better.</p>

<p>I truly do not know what a Spanish Honor Society does and don't want to pass judgement but isn't Model Congress more of an activity than just a group one belongs to? That kinda sounds more active to me but I don't know for sure.</p>

<p>I don't think you should emphasize "what the colleges want" when discussing this with your son. There is too much of that around, and it isn't even a legitimate concern, as others have pointed out. Choosing things on that basis, for external reasons rather than internal, really sets a course for many students that is not healthy.</p>

<p>If he can choose based on what interests him most, fine, and otherwise maybe he could choose based on the needs of others. In other words, maybe he has a friend or acquaintance who is well-suited to one of these positions and would be glad to have it. Since your son would be happy with either, he could cede one of them to someone else whose interest in a position is known to him.</p>