Which operating system is more convenient for college?

<p>I'm an international student starting college this fall at Penn State university for an engineering major. I need to buy a tablet in order to take notes and record during class, but I need to know which operating system is more convenient, Mac or Windows/Android. Since I know Mac is popular in America I'm thinking it might be better to get an iPad and a Mac for Uni but I'm not sure. </p>

<p>Can somebody offer some advice, please?</p>

<p>When it comes to things like “taking notes” and “recording lectures”, there is very little to no difference between differently branded tablets, provided the two of them have the necessary hardware to do what you need them to do (in your case, type and record). Go with whatever’s cheaper, provided the price doesn’t adversely affect the quality and performance of what you’re buying.</p>

<p>FYI: Never buy something because it’s “popular”.</p>

<p>I wasn’t thinking of buying because they’re popular I was considering it because if most proffesors and students have them then Apple would be more convenient since its not compatible with windows. So in the event of say, the teacher, who has a Mac wants to give the presentation file to his students I can just take it and if I have a Mac will work just fine, but if I have Windows then I would have to convert the file and tinker with it. </p>

<p>Popularity isn’t my concern, its mostly convenience. If the school has mostly Windows run systems then I will discards Apple, but until then I’m still considering all my options.</p>

<p>Nowadays, Microsoft is cross compatible with both windows and OSX so you don’t really need to tinker. I doubt your professor will be using some other program other than Microsoft for presentations. Besides, you’ll have a variety of professors and they are definitely not all gonna have the same OS. To be sure, you could always call the engineering department at Penn State for their preferred OS. Personally, I would just use the OS I am most comfortable with on a table.</p>

<p>Actually, I’d argue that Android is far more compatiable with everything nowadays, if only because it’s not a locked system.</p>

<p>[ps - people still use powerpoint? o.O I thought .pdf’s or GooglePresentations were standard.]</p>

<p>ok, so apparently android is the way to go. Now the question is which android tablet is the best for uni?</p>

<p>I’m a big Mac fan, but I also know something about engineering. I suspect that you will be asked to run programming languages and applications that may work better in Windows than Macintosh OS. As others have noted, if you are just taking notes in class, any sort of tablet will do. The engineering faculty at my school are experimenting with various tablets, and they seem to be favoring tablets that have a stylus that allows users to write detailed notes and equations. They are thinking that iPads are not the best for this purpose - true, you can get a stylus, but the end is too fat to allow for detailed writing.</p>

<p>I agree with Elaine - you should definitely check with the Penn State Engineering Department. Some engineering schools are currently asking students to purchase Windows-compatible tablets.</p>

<p>You should check with your school to see if your engineering program has a recommended computer system. Usually if you’re in a program that is computer-heavy they advise you to get a certain type. For example it is usually recommended that accounting majors get computer keyboards with the side number keys not just the traditional ones on top. </p>

<p>The other thing I would note is that one of my past roommates had a mac and had difficulty downloading certain programs required for a physics class because the program only wanted to work on PCs. I guess that can be a problem with certain computer programs (I’m assuming the program was rather old though b/c most new ones work fine on both). </p>

<p>Still, this may not be a problem because many schools have labs that have programs already downloaded on the computer-so you have to do homework in the lab instead of on your laptop.</p>

<p>Your school bookstore would probably be the best people to advise you on these matters. Best of luck.</p>

<p>Android is more flexible but iPad usually has more support in schools.</p>

<p>iPad usually has more tech support in schools, but Android isn’t a locked system and costs less. If you got a Windows tablet that could work to since most US schools have mostly windows computers.
Personally, I prefer Android to iOS (based solely on using my own phone and my mom’s), but I prefer the Mac operating system to Windows for computers. I’ve never used Linux, but I’ve heard it’s fairly similar to Android.</p>

<p>Mac and PC will both work for almost any major you would be interested in. You can even run Windows 8 in OSX if you want to.</p>

<p>PC is more recommended for Engineering majors though.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No it isn’t, this isn’t 2001, OSX can run anything Windows 8 can.</p>

<p>So you’re saying it’s not more recommended? I’m not saying Mac can’t do the job or anything like that, but people commonly suggest PC if you’re going for engineering.</p>

<p>Because they are stuck in 2001 and don’t realize OSX and Windows are completely cross compatible with programs like vmware and parallels.</p>

<p>If you really are afraid of the lack of compatibility between Mac and still want a Mac, you can always run parallels or boot camp (but that’s tedious)</p>

<p>Chrome OS is the most convenient for many reasons - it’s the cheapest by far, and it’s dependence on Google Drive to store documents mean you can access, edit, print, and create files from any computer with internet</p>

<p>edit: didn’t read OP, you’re better off with a Chromebook than a tablet anyways</p>

<p>Hello, I study computers and I have used windows, mac and linux windows 7 has always been my favorite os it is fast and easy to browse the internet with and edit, delete, copy and move all types of files.
Choose windows 7 and up.
but windows 8 is a little tricky.</p>

<p>Chromebook? Doesn’t that require full on access to the internet? I wouldn’t use chromebook in the event that wifi become disable for some reason.
And there may be some area where there will be no wifi.</p>

<p>I’d be wary of making a tablet my primary method of notetaking. It’s pretty hard to type quickly on one of them. As for OS, I’d lean towards Windows on a computer or Android on a tablet. Ipads are fine, I just prefer the flexibility of an open system.</p>

<p>The thing about a Mac is that, while it can in theory run anything Windows 8 can, up to Windows 8 itself, it isn’t always easy to do so. If you aren’t skilled with OSX, I wouldn’t attempt it when you are relying on your computer for college.</p>