Which Self-Study AP courses for HS Senior entering into an engineering program

<p>I go to a school that offers few AP courses and I was thinking about self-studying to take some of the exams. I am a senior. Last year I took physics and calculus. The calculus class was not AP, but it was intended to prepare for the AB AP test, which I passed with a four. I have been accepted early decision into materials engineering at Cal Poly.</p>

<p>This year I am taking statistics. Some of the AP tests I have considered preparing for are Calculus BC, Statistics, and Physics C. When I consulted my former physics/calculus teacher who also was an engineer he suggested that I take the Calculus BC exam, but not physics C. I mentioned to him that the four year graduation rates were low at Cal Poly, and I thought that more APs would make it more likely that I could graduate in time.</p>

<p>He told me that the math is the main reason engineering majors don't graduate in time and that if I am taking more advanced maths I will understand the physics better, but not the other way around. He said that physics C is quite challenging and that I would be better off going with the regular physics sequence. As for statistics, he thinks I'll have to retake it anyway, but from what I've read I'm not sure about that.</p>

<p>I would really appreciate it if anyone has an opinion on this or knows something about which exams will be most useful for me to take.</p>

<p>Which Cal Poly?</p>

<p>AP credit policies:</p>

<p>SLO: Other</a> Academic Credit - Office of the Registrar - Cal Poly
Pomona: Credits</a> from AP/IB/CLEP</p>

<p>Course lists for Materials Engineering majors:</p>

<p>SLO: Curriculum</a> - Current Students - Cal Poly Materials Engineering
Pomona: College</a> of Engineering: Engineering Curriculum Sheets</p>

<p>Compare the course credit for AP credit with the courses required for your degree to see which AP tests would actually be useful to you.</p>

<p>He's probably very likely correct about stats. AP stat isn't calc based (right?), which is a bit useless then.</p>

<p>From a 1-minute search on Cal Poly's website, most engineers have to take Stat 350.
From the AP class list ucbalum posted, you cannot test out of it. You can only test out of lower-level stat classes, which is a bit of a waste (unless you just want elective credits).</p>

<p>take the advice of your teacher. </p>

<p>DS had HS teachers who were national teachers in Calc and Physics. Forgot his AP score but very high-His college had a math placement exam. His freshman first exams in physics for engineers and calc for engineers-he was in top groupings, = grade D. </p>

<p>Lesson: He wasn't in high school anymore.</p>

<p>Third year materials engineering major at Cal Poly Slo here. I went in with quite a bit of AP credit (seven tests I think), and it really won't get you that much. </p>

<p>Stats won't get you out of 312, Calc BC probably is a good idea, as it will get you out of Calc 2, which is just integrals and the like, nothing too bad. Never took physics C, so I don't know there...</p>

<p>I would suggest taking AP English or Lit though (either gets ENGL 134 credit), and if you can, the APUSH and APGOV combo (you need both to get credit for the D1 GE).</p>

<p>In the grand scheme of things though, AP classes probably won't make a huge difference. Each one is getting you out of maximum of one quarter in that particular series, that head start disappears fast...</p>

<p>I'm going to attend Cal Poly SLO. I checked with those links and you're right that I can't get any credit for the statistics. However, it says that one earns elective units for a 3, 4, or 5 on AP statistics. Could that be used for the GE requirements in my major?</p>

<p>Also, with a 3,4, or 5 on BC calculus I can skip the first two quarters of calculus instead of of only one, and a 4 or 5 on physics C mechanics would allow me to skip the first quarter of physics. Do you agree with my teacher that I would be better off with only taking the BC calculus exam, and with that, do you think it is likely that I will be able to graduate in four years?</p>

<p>Engineers at Cal Poly don't need any elective credit, there's really no reason to take stats unless you just want to. </p>

<p>The first quarter of physics is really easy, I don't know how the AP test is, but if it's the same stuff as PHYS 141, I can't see any reason not to take the test. </p>

<p>As far as graduating in four years, I'm not sure on the numbers, but I don't know that many fifth year materials engineering seniors. Take from that what you will, but I don't imagine it'd be too hard for you to graduate in four years, assuming you don't fail a class or miss a prerequisite (happens more often than you'd think, the flowcharts don't always show all the prerequisites, and teachers aren't always willing to give permission numbers in that circumstance).</p>

<p>Assuming the engineering core is the same for most majors, no, you will not get credit towards GE requirements (the EE page was easy to navigate). 0 credits required for statistics electives.
BS</a> ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING 2005-07</p>

<p>Side note - I've never understood everyone's stress over graduating in four years... maybe its just because very few students take a 5th year at my school (BS/MS students not counting, of course). I guess part of it is that the core is structured such that you're required to be done with Calc III by the end of freshman year.</p>

<p>How difficult is to get at least 3s in APUSH and APGOV if I haven't taken the AP versions of those classes? How much would I have to study?</p>

<p>Neither of those exams are particularly hard. If you study for about 3 weeks at 3-5 hours per day you should be able to know the concepts. APUSH is a more straightforward exam which tests you on simply the history concepts but there is a wide range of topics that are fair game. Meanwhile Government has a smaller amount of information but it will often require that you incorporate outside thought or even real-world examples. I would personally take Government because it will probably require less studying and actually helps you in the real world which APUSH is relatively useless (unless you love Jeopardy).</p>