Which top 20 university gives the least busywork?

<p>I know colleges tend to be more flexible on homework than high schools, but in regards to mandatory problem sets and things like that, who allows kids to "skip out" when they grasp the concepts more quickly?</p>

<p>Do you actually expect a legitimate answer to this question, just curious?</p>

<p>You won't see much busywork at any good college. If you are an anti-homework type, things to look out for are lab reports in science courses (can be lengthy and time-consuming), papers in any course (not busy work, but a big commitment), programming projects in computer science, and schools that count class attendance and participation (Harvard...). Also watch out for group projects- you may hate them, or they may work for you. Some schools are big on them. Worchester Polytech is project oriented, so it might be worth looking at if you don't mind working, but hate busy work.</p>

<p>It's not like universities have a policy not to give out busywork problem sets. Most problem set homeworks I've had were graded and the ones that weren't being graded could be turned in at the end of the semester for extra credit. I've never actually had a teacher assign homework and then not provide some sort of grade incentive to complete them.</p>

<p>I think this question has more to do with your major than with the specific school. I would assume that the amount of homework would vary among different professors within each school, while a foreign language major, for example, may have busy work across the board.</p>

<p>Think about it. You're assuming that:
a) Someone out there has attended all of the top 20 universities in America;
b) All professors at a given university share the same teaching approaches;
c) Professors at top 20 universities are inclined to give out busywork just to be obnoxious; and
d) Universities take positions on how much of this obnoxious they want to impose.
There's no answer to your question.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the answers! I've heard the best about Brown, Yale, and Columbia (that suprised me).</p>