Which top colleges impact their surrounding community most?

<p>I'm very into volunteering and I think I'd be a good fit at a school that has a lot of community outreach programs and a good relationship with the surrounding community. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>The top 25 good neighbor colleges:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>University of Pennsylvania – Philadelphia, PA</p></li>
<li><p>University of Southern California – Los Angeles, CA</p></li>
<li><p>University of Dayton – Dayton, OH</p></li>
<li><p>University of Pittsburgh – Pittsburgh, PA</p></li>
<li><p>Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis – Indianapolis, IN</p></li>
<li><p>Creighton University – Omaha, NE</p></li>
<li><p>Case Western Reserve University – Cleveland, OH</p></li>
<li><p>Tulane University – New Orleans, LA</p></li>
<li><p>Portland State University – Portland, OR</p></li>
<li><p>Drexel University – Philadelphia, PA</p></li>
<li><p>Virginia Commonwealth University – Richmond, VA</p></li>
<li><p>University of Louisville – Louisville, KY</p></li>
<li><p>University of Rochester – Rochester, NY</p></li>
<li><p>University of Houston – Houston, TX</p></li>
<li><p>University of Missouri at Kansas City – Kansas City, MO</p></li>
<li><p>University of Missouri at St. Louis – St. Louis, MO</p></li>
<li><p>Emory University – Atlanta, GA</p></li>
<li><p>University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee – Milwaukee, WI</p></li>
<li><p>Carnegie Mellon University – Pittsburgh, PA</p></li>
<li><p>Rhode Island School of Design – Providence, RI</p></li>
<li><p>Miami-Dade College – Miami</p></li>
<li><p>St. Louis University – St. Louis, MO</p></li>
<li><p>Rutgers-Newark, State University of New Jersey – Newark, NJ</p></li>
<li><p>George Washington University – Washington, DC</p></li>
<li><p>University of Nebraska-Omaha – Omaha, NE</p></li>
</ol>

<p><a href="http://www.wsc.mass.edu/PressRoom/Top%2025.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.wsc.mass.edu/PressRoom/Top%2025.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>the detailed report is here:
<a href="http://www.wsc.ma.edu/Announcements/SOOC%20Survey%20Overview.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.wsc.ma.edu/Announcements/SOOC%20Survey%20Overview.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Interesting, as soon as I read the title, I though of Penn.</p>

<p>Definitely Penn.</p>

<p>It's a national leader in community outreach:</p>

<p>Penn</a> and Southern Cal Top Ranking of Good-Neighbor Colleges - Administration - The Chronicle of Higher Education</p>

<p>Urban</a> Colleges Learn to Be Good Neighbors - washingtonpost.com</p>

<p>And community outreach and service have a strong institutional presence at Penn:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Community Service
Approximately 12,000 University students, faculty and staff participate in more than 300 Penn volunteer and community service programs, as well as the more than 160 academically based community service courses that Penn offers. Community service at Penn is primarily coordinated by Civic House (student volunteerism and advocacy), Fox Leadership, the Barbara and Edward Netter Center for Community Partnerships (coordinates academically based community service) and Penn VIPS (Volunteers in Public Service—faculty and staff volunteers), which is a part of the Netter Center for Community Partnerships.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Penn:</a> Facts and Figures</p>

<p>Also see:</p>

<p>Civic</a> House: University of Pennsylvania</p>

<p>Barbara</a> and Edward Netter Center for Community Partnerships, University of Pennsylvania</p>

<p>Thank you! I have a little bit of a crush on Penn... :)</p>

<p>i would also think that any school that's kind of in the middle of nowhere (read: cornell and ithaca college lol) would have an impact on their surrounding communities because that's the focus of social life. we have a lot of townies at our sports games and concerts, etc.</p>

<p>@Ironically, I thought of it the opposite. Schools in urban areas have an easier time to impact their surroundings, like tutoring in a nearby school for example. Whereas a school like Cornell, people would stay inside that campus bubble.</p>

<p>Columbia bragged a lot about what they had done for the community during their information session...</p>

<p>I am not sure if the study is supposed to reflect just the past year or so, or some longer period of time. However, I would have to say in relation to the totality of the city in which it resides, Tulane has had a bigger impact on New Orleans than any of these other schools have had on their city. Besides what is cited in the report about medical care and the like, virtually every aspect of Tulane has been involved in rebuilding New Orleans. Business students working with local businesses, architecture students designing and implementing numerous rehabs, new buildings and other projects, and a huge role regarding the redesign of the public educational system. On top of all that, nearly every student that is not involved in some specialized area such as these is involved in some facet of helping, from getting people back in their homes to reclaiming the famous graveyards.</p>

<p>No big deal, any recognition of the efforts is great, but at least for the last 3-4 years, I would have to think Tulane is #1, or at least tied for it (the Penn programs do look pretty awesome). New Orleans would not have recovered to anywhere close to the point it has without Tulane. That isn't just my opinion, that is the opinion of numerous civic leaders, the Carnegie Foundation and Time Magazine, who all honored Scott Cowen, the president, for his leadership. As he says, he is just a proxy in these awards for the entire Tulane community.</p>

<p>Scott and Amanda Cowen wrote a great article their experiences. I got an early e-copy but it should be published by now if anyone is interested.</p>

<p>Ironically - If you read the report they state they specifically exclude college towns or towns that are predominantly so.</p>

<p>I have a couple friends at University of Southern California and have gone to visit and I always hear about how much they volunteer at schools and with children in the local community/surrounding area. </p>

<p>USC gets a bad reputation for being in an area that has a high crime rate, but USC is making strides to make the neighborhood around it a better place for everybody to live.</p>

<p>
[quote]
but USC is making strides to make the neighborhood around it a better place for everybody to live.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>When I read this, I imagined USC students with handguns policing the streets of Southern California at night haha. Now that would be some serious community service :)</p>

<p>whoops i was just responding to the thread title's question lol my bad</p>