Which Universities Will Be The New "Ivy League" of the 21st Century?

<p>There is no doubt that dynamics of higher education is ever changing and that growth is extremely rapid. </p>

<p>In your personal opinion which universities will be in the group of 21st century elite universities, like the ivies were in the 19th and some-what in the 20th centuries.</p>

<p>In the 20th century the ivies where not always king. Public universities such as Berkeley, Michigan, and Wisconsin were rivaling ivies. </p>

<p>Now we are in the 12 years in the 21st. Some of you must see some trends of new leaders of higher education. University of Chicago and Stanford University are some examples of mine.</p>

<p>Please try to limit the number of universities. I don't want a copy-paste version of the US NEWS Top 25.</p>

<p><em>Yes the ivies will always be the elite, but there are more non-ivy contenders than before.</em></p>

<p>Discuss.</p>

<p>"Public universities such as Berkeley, Michigan, and Wisconsin were rivaling ivies."</p>

<p>In academe they still do.</p>

<p>i currently don't have time for a long detailed explanation, but off the top of my head i'd include these:</p>

<p>Stanford
Caltech
MIT
Chicago
Northwestern
UCLA
Berkeley
Michigan
UVA</p>

<p>Barf. 10char</p>

<p>The Ivy League is just an athletic conference composed of 8 of the 15 best universities in America. The top 8 non-Ivies rival this conference in prestige: Stanford, MIT, University of Chicago, CalTech, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown and Johns Hopkins.</p>

<p>The 21st century will witness the rise of Stanvard, which includes two schools that would be on their own tier. Stanford's endowment is poised to increase drastically as its tech-tycoons start to donate billions as they age.</p>

<p>This is very interesting research looking into population growth and sense of place happening throughout the 21st century. These are the following predominant Megan Regions and their respective Universities that <em>I believe</em> will be leading the country as the next set of elite universities:</p>

<p>Link: America</a> 2050</p>

<p>Cascadia - University of Washington
Florida - University of Miami
Great Lakes - University of Chicago / University of Michigan
Northeast - Harvard University / Columbia University
Northern California - Stanford University / UC Berkeley
Piedmont Atlantic - Duke University
Southern California - University of Southern California / UCLA
Texas Triangle - Rice University / University of Texas, Austin</p>

<p>What are you trying to say exactly? Schools like Stanford, Duke, Rice and Chicago are already prestigious schools. The Ivy League will remain the Ivy League. It's very difficult for a university to rise to prominence now if it isn't great already. There's just too much saturation in the higher education space.</p>

<p>"Schools like Stanford, Duke, Rice and Chicago are already prestigious schools."</p>

<p>Stanford
Chicago</p>

<p>Duke
Rice</p>

<p>harvey mudd because it has the highest median income salary</p>

<p>Unlike the Big Ten, Pac 12, SEC, Big East, Big 12, Mountain West, WAC, etc., the Ivy League does not appear to be seeking new members, and current members do not seem to be interested in moving to other conferences. So it is likely that the new Ivy League will be the same as the old Ivy League.</p>

<p>

You REALLY need a new hobby.</p>

<p>just wondering.......how can you say that these schools are the best if you haven't obviously attended all of them?.....what factors do you go by?</p>

<p>I don't know if going by USNWR, endowment, avg. salary, or meaningless stats like that is the best method.....</p>

<p>on the other hand, I think that the only way you can "judge" a uni is by attending it....otherwise, they're just meaningless numbers.</p>

<p>I just think it's funny how the same schools always come up on threads like this.....</p>

<p>prestige is one thing, but basing prestige on statistics is foolish. Base prestige on experience, the people you meet, and the opportunities that you have taken.....the life you have lived.</p>

<p>Also, going to a school like UMich is great for some people, but others not so much. My prof said it was easy to get lost in all of the kids and teachers.....</p>

<p>I'm not bashing UMichigan, because clearly they do have a lot of resources, opportunities, and programs, but sometimes the experience can be a little lacking....</p>

<p>Take Calvin college. You've probably never heard of it. Anyway, I spent a night there and I think it was the best time I've had in my life. I cried when I left because I didn't want to leave......</p>

<p>THAT is what makes college grand. The people you meet and the experiences you share.</p>

<p>just my opinion......</p>

<p>Stanford, MIT, Caltech</p>

<p>Berkeley, Northwestern, Chicago, Michigan, Duke</p>

<p>
[quote]
There is no doubt that dynamics of higher education is ever changing and that growth is extremely rapid.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Sorry, but I dispute your premise. Nothing, I mean nothing in education moves with a "rapid" pace.</p>

<p>Also, part (a big?) of what make the Ivies the Ivy League is demographics. They all exist in states which have not chosen to strongly support their public Unis to make them highly competitive. Thus, for many northeasterners, it's Ivy or Bust. Not true in the rest of the world.</p>

<p>
[quote]
"Public universities such as Berkeley, Michigan, and Wisconsin were rivaling ivies."</p>

<p>In academe they still do.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Exactly. And the Suny's do not, and probably never will.</p>

<p>Caltech already beats the Ivies IMO. Look at the PhD production rate. That shows not only the quality of the students, but also the quality of the teaching that makes people want to keep learning.</p>

<p>It could be that Caltech kids just love learning, and those are the types of students that they draw. Caltech probably comes the closest out of any university as being a hybrid between a high-quality research university and a LAC. It really is a very impressive university.</p>

<p>Caltech has less than 1000 undergraduate students. It is so small, it really should be considered a LAC/Tech school with a graduate program. In any case, it is a remarkable school.</p>

<p>The new community colleges and vocational colleges will become the new ivy leagues of the 21th century - In America, academia will no longer be important/reached a cieling and hands on skills will reign supreme.</p>

<p>@dollarbill</p>

<p>Ummmm.... No. Unless the US's economy collapses and all the educated people leave, academics will always be an "upper echelon" of society and higher education will remain as something which is highly valued. </p>

<p>Also, the word is ceiling.</p>