Who changes the world?

<p>What college (preferably top 20 or thereabouts) do you feel the students most want to make a difference? I know some colleges seem like their students predominantly want to learn more abstractly ("intellectual") and some want to get a stong career ("pre-professional"), but which ones have the most students with a third idea, improving the world?</p>

<p>Berkeley strikes me with that kind of feeling, but that's just a guess.</p>

<p>Brown and Berkeley both were known for their demonstrations. Both are considered very liberal, meaning largely full of students who want to see things in the world moved from where they are.</p>

<p>@RaVNzCRoFT</p>

<p>I agree that UC Berkeley graduates have contributed significantly/is interested in contributing to the world in almost every field. However, that opinion may be a result of a large student population and graduating class. </p>

<p>Anyways...</p>

<p>Many schools such as Yale, Columbia, Berkeley have numerous alumni active in public life, but many colleges have famous graduates who are not very famous -- yet their contributions to society are equally noteworthy. So we might be inclined to say that students there are more ambitious in effecting a change in the world (if that makes sense)</p>

<p>So my answer to the OP if he is choosing a college would be "while we are inclined to say that a certain college shapes a student's outlooks more than another, its ultimately up to the student to determine his/her goals"</p>

<p>If that answers your question : )</p>

<p>Thanks chsowlflax17 and RaVNzCRoFT!</p>

<p>And @ballpointpen, I understand that statement and wholeheartedly agree. However, if I'm surrounded by the maximum amount of like-minded individuals, I believe I can effect more improvement. Like, if I want to start a project that requires 2-3 partners who are also devoted to helping the world, I want best access possible to those partners.</p>

<p>I agree, but I think that if you go to a school as large as Berkeley, you are bound to find like-minded individuals :P</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>Thanks ballpointpen!</p>

<p>Bump, anyone else?</p>

<p>Berkely is a WAY different place today than it was in the 60s. Many more pre meds and many fewer world changers.</p>

<p>I think small liberal arts colleges like pomona, grinnell has these types of students.</p>

<p>haha I agree on Berkeley!</p>

<p>Redroses... Since when are "pre-meds" mutually exclusive with "world changers"? Medical innovations will decide a large part of future generations, and even the pre-med students are passionate about things other than academic success. While a certain part of the student body only cares about themselves, or about nothing... there is definitely a relatively large population of activist-type people, who really care about the issue at hand. It's something that attracted me to the school, and it's a part of why I picked Berkeley over some other great choices. No school has a student population with the scale of activism found in the sixties, but compared to other schools today, I'd say Berkeley still ranks highly, on today's scale.</p>

<p>Other schools I would include are Brown and Grinnell, perhaps Columbia.</p>