Who sees undergrad concentrations?

<p>I want to major in chemical engineering as an undergrad, and I'm really only looking at Big OOS Publics in the Northeast. Alot of the schools I'm looking at offer concentrations that are simply taking electives that are all related together such as bioprocesses, polymers, and materials. Is taking a concentration better for grad school/career? If so then how is it shown as I assume it won't say so on the degree since its just taking certain electives.</p>

<p>Taking a concentration of electives may give you a talking point during an interview, which could help you slightly. What will help you substantially more is a good GPA and work/research experience. I doubt it will show on the degree. You could ask the schools you are interested in to find out for certain.</p>

<p>Well, if you like your concentration, it's a big advantage at graduate school because you know what to do with your graduate research (especially if you are thesis-program). </p>

<p>If you are certain that you like what you do in your concentration, it could be a plus for your skill. Of course, work/research experience is what counts more. But unlike people who just take random electives, you are "concentrated".</p>

<p>Like stated earlier that concentration helps during an interview. For instance...</p>

<p>My undergraduate major was Math but my concentration (not noted on the transcript) was Computer Science. So if put on my resume "Mathematics - Computer Science option", that potential employer is going to expect you to know some things about Computer Science.</p>

<p>For my first employer (the now defunct Westinghouse Energy Systems) that is the difference between HR forwarding your resume to the Nuclear Engineering group and the Software Development group. In the end, you still have to "talk the talk".</p>