who to trust, the uc website or the uc adviser.

<p>help, i am really worried about this.
i am in CCC now but i have attended a 4year school out of state, i am chemical engineering. since i have changed major before, i took some classes that is not needed for neither the GE nor the pre-reques, but is transfersble. so i will have
about exactly 90 units before transfer. even so, i cannot finished my GE or Pre-reques. for wether i can apply, i got different answer from the website and the berkley adviser.
in the website :
<a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.ed.../applying.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.ed.../applying.html&lt;/a>
it states:
Other colleges: UC Berkeley's other colleges total both university units and a maximum of 70 community college UC-transferable units. The limits on combined transferable university and community college work are as follows:</p>

<pre><code>College of Chemistry: 80 semester units; applicants with more than 80 units require special approval.( chemical engineering is in college of chemistry)

<p>but i emailed a transfer adviser in the college of chemistry, he replied me with this:
"Since you are at a community college now, the College of Chemistry does
not have a maximum number of units you may attain before applying. Keep
in mind that only 70 community college units may be transferred;
however, all relevant course work will count in satisfaction of

<p>i wonder what you guys think about this, if i have 90 units, can i still apply.
your reply is very important to me. thank you.</p>

<p>I'd believe the transfer adviser. You should be fine. Maybe drop an unnecessary class if you can if you're worried that much? I dunno it seems like you have a direct OK from the adviser so I wouldn't worry.</p>

<p>This is what I have understood to occur.</p>

<p>You seriously need to talk to an adviser in person or on the phone if you don't get the type of answer you are looking for. You don't want to waist your time. Firstly, from my understanding, you can only transfer 70 units from a community college. The units that you took at a normal 4 year university have to be calculated into your total. To begin with determining your situation, calculate how many 4 year university units you have. Those have to stay. Subtract those from 70. Then subtract the units that are required of your major. If you still have room. You get to add in other classes until 70 units. If you go over 70 units after you subtract the 4 year university units and the major required units, you maybe in trouble.</p>

<p>I will again say, keep talking to Berkeley till you get a direct answer. Once you an appropriate answer, make a copy of it for your records just in case there is any discrepancies later with your transfer.</p>

<p>Here is some information that I believe to be useful to you. It just states mostly what I said.</p>

<p>Enrolling</a> Elsewhere
"Community College Credit: The College follows the Admission's Office rule that allows a total of 70 units to be transferred from Community Colleges no matter when students take the Community College courses (e.g. freshman or senior year). You may elect to have units taken at a Community College after you have accumulated 70 units from all colleges attended (including Advanced Placement Test units) unofficially deducted -- subject credit can still be granted for breadth or major requirements. If you may exceed the 130 maximum, it could be to your advantage to ask a College adviser to make a note in your file that you have over 70 units and do not want Community College unit credit to be calculated by the College into your unit total."</p>

<p>"Another factor of some importance in this regard is the policy governing transferable units. The University will transfer a maximum of 70 units from community colleges. Students who earn units at four-year colleges (or in programs combining community college and four-year college credit) may risk accumulating excess units, which can affect transfer eligibility."</p>

<p>thanks Mykris202 and TheCaliforniaLife.</p>

<p>what is "the units that are required of your major". do you mean those i took in the previous school or the pre-reques of the chemical engineering major .</p>

<p>for me in this dangerous stiation, i dont care whether they give credits for my class after erolling, i just afraid that i even can not apply, and wonder if \ they will regard me as senior and reject me right away without consideration.</p>

<p>Yeah, the units required for your major are the preqs you only took at a community college.</p>

<p>Maybe try calling (510) 642-3175 to get general admissions advice from Berkeleys admissions office.</p>

<p>Another valuable source is Ms. Sun. She works as an outreach volunteer for UCLA and Berkeley. She has received training on admission requirements and attend college fairs to promote the schools. I would recommend e-mailing her concerning this question. She may have a better answer.</p>

<p>Her information is here:
Yahoo</a>! Answers - Ms. Sun's Q&A profile</p>

<p>Just click Email Ms. Sun to send her an e-mail. She has helped me before.</p>

<p>Her blog is here to post this question:
The</a> Unofficial Guide to UC Berkeley / UCLA Admissions</p>

<p>Asking Ms. Sun is a good quick answer. You can also ask her who to best referred to at Berkeley to get a direct answer.</p>

<p>TheCaliforniaLife. thank you so much!!!!!</p>

<p>No problem :)</p>

<p>BTY. if i dropa unnecessary class in order to make myself safely below the units limit. will the W on my transcript hurt my chance?</p>

<p>oh, it is a critical thinking class, which is the english class follow after the two english class required by transfer.</p>

<p>Yes, Please contact an adviser with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The College advisers don't always have the updated and correct information. Although the College might not have any requirements on units, the admissions office might.</p>