Why choose to attend a Historically Black College and University (HBCU)

I have watched my 2 kids choose attending a Historically Black College and University (HBCU) as 4th generation HBCU students (from their Mom’s side of the family) over other great financial and academic school options and I wanted to share a few articles (An article on 4 students who chose HBCUs over Ivy League acceptances, Why America needs HBCUs, and 20 facts about HBCUs). There are pros and cons to attending any school, so all students should always weight their own finances, goals, and “fit” when choosing a school.

But consider the following:

HBCUs make up 3% of of four-year nonprofit colleges
HBCUs account for 10% of African American students at four-year nonprofit colleges
HBCUs account for ~20% of African American graduates at four-year nonprofit colleges
HBCUs account for 27% of the nation’s African American students who earn STEM degrees
HBCUs account for 40% of the nation’s African American engineers
HBCUs account for over 50% of the nation’s African American public school teachers
HBCUs account for 50% of the nation’s African American lawyers
HBCUs account for 50% of the nation’s African American doctors
HBCUs account for 70% of the nation’s African American dentists
HBCUs account for 80% of the nation’s African American black judges
Spelman and Bennett Colleges produce over half of the nation’s African American women who go on to earn doctorates in all science fields.
Nine of the top ten colleges that graduate the most African American students who go on to earn PhDs are HBCUs.

3 Likes