Why do most people get 1's?

<p>Why do the majority of AP test takers get 1's? It is this way for most AP exams. It doesn't make sense. In order to get a 1, it seems that one would have almost no idea about the subject, and I would guess that just about all the people who get 1's took the class.</p>

<p>Being late is a possibility.</p>

<p>DD had a classmate who fell asleep during an AP exam and got a 2.</p>

<p>Some people may accidentally write the essays/open response in pencil and receive 0's on all of them. Otherwise as you said some people have no idea about the subject material.</p>

<p>If you had a terrible teacher and didn't realize it or weren't motivated to study on your own you probably could get a 1 or 2 pretty easy. Kinda scary though that like 40% or more i think get a 1 or 2.</p>

<p>I understand that some 1's or 2's are accounted to people falling sleep, writing fr's in pen, etc. However, there is no way that simple mistakes like those caused 31.5% of the 2009 APES test takers to get 1's. Almost one third get 1's! And on most AP exams, about 50% pass, and 50% get 1's or 2's. It's weird if you ask me.</p>

<p>Some students aren't prepared to take the AP exam. Either their teacher knew nothing about what is covered on the AP exam or the student didn't take the initiative to study.</p>

<p>Well obviously they didn't know the information and were not adequately prepared for whatever reason.</p>

<p>^agree.</p>

<p>From a personal experience, during the Chem exam, my friend didn't know what to do during the FRQ, so he played tetris on his TI-89. He was smart and he could have received a 3+ and became AP Scholar, but apparently he gave up too easily. I tried persuading him when he gave up before the exam. <em>sigh</em></p>

<p>seniors who don't care because they've been accepted into the best college on their list.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Kinda scary though that like 40% or more i think get a 1 or 2.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Well that's not good.</p>

<p>because many kids only care about the "A" for an "AP Class"</p>

<p>Students don't have to have taken an AP class to take the exam. I know kids who have taken the exam without the class and passed. It would be interesting to know statistically how many of that 31.5% did not take the class first.</p>

<p>My friend wrote the DBQ but neither of the free responses for AP Euro and managed a 3. I don't really know how people get 1s (and hopefully I won't find out for myself).</p>

<p>I should ask my brother. </p>

<p>He had a 1 on one of his AP exams.</p>

<p>CC is a website full of intelligent, overachieving students. There is a significant amount of AP students (not a majority, but it's certainly significant) that do not care and aren't good with academics. There was a kid in my AP World class who showed up to every class and seemed to pay attention, but he had almost no critical thinking or analytical skills and got a 1 on the exam. I go to a magnet school in a very good county in terms of academics. Imagine the average student at the average school. Really, most of the 1s come from students who don't try, teachers who have no idea what they're doing, and students who lack the scholastic foundation to be in an AP class in the first place.</p>

<p>A lot of kids who are taking their first AP exam don't know what to expect, so they don't know how to prepare. Some view it as just another test and don't take it seriously.</p>

<p>I know it was kind of a dumb question, but it's just strange that someone could take an entire class, then a test and know absolutely nothing or close to it.</p>

<p>
[quote]

I know it was kind of a dumb question, but it's just strange that someone could take an entire class, then a test and know absolutely nothing or close to it.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Welcome to underfunded public school ;)</p>

<p>I find it really unreasonable that someone would waste like $86 just to get a 1 or 2 on the exam.</p>