Why do people do this?

<p>Recently college admissions have been stressing me which has lead me to read through the forums on this site. Frankly, most of the people on here disgust me. It seriously makes me angry to see people that are really into ivy league and private school mention that they applied to all of the UC schools, even though it is clear that they will not attend any of them even if accepted. In my opinion all this does is impact the system for the people who actually want to go to one of those schools. I saw one post with a list of 30 colleges applied to. 30 SCHOOLS! There were many other lists that were not much shorter. There is no way that anyone could really put honest consideration into 30 schools(which included all of the UC campuses). I don't understand why people apply to schools that they would not attend even if accepted. It is a waist of money first of all, and secondly if you are a strong applicant you are potentially taking an admission slot from a maybe less impressive applicant who genuinely wanted to go to that school, and to me that seems a little selfish. Is it really worth taking someone else's chance for your own bragging rights? I know that when i filled/sent out applications i only did it for schools that i would truly consider going to, but obviously as shown on this website, that is not a very popular thing to do these days.</p>

<p>I know some people will probably bash me for posting this but i wanted to get my opinion out. If you agree with my position back me.</p>

<p>(and if their is anything wrong with my spllng/gramar... deal with it)</p>

<p>I agree with you. I didn't apply to any schools outside of the UC system because I knew I wouldn't want to go to a CSU, and I knew I couldn't afford an out-of-state school.</p>

<p>I agree that 30 schools seems pretty excessive, but I don't think applying to a lot of schools is necessarily a bad or selfish idea, if you can afford the application fees/get waivers, etc.</p>

<p>The reason I applied to 15 schools was so I could maximize merit money. My family is unfortunately, in that awkward situation where the FAFSA thinks we have plenty of money for college, but in reality we don't. So, I'm entirely dependent upon merit money. I would love to go to a private school; however, in the end, this may not be feasible, in which case I will attend one of the UC's. </p>

<p>I also have slightly odd stats, which means when I applied I was really unsure as to where I'd get in. So, I applied to 15 schools, all of which I would be willing to attend. </p>

<p>Secondly, these people probably aren't stealing your spot. The UC's and all other schools know what their yield is. They know how many people will actually attend, and how many are using them as safeties, and they admit extra people accordingly.</p>

<p>Calm Down...</p>

<p>All these colleges are aware of what their yield is so technically nobody is taking your spot. These colleges are not oblivious to these types of things. Colleges have been doing this a long time and students have been acting the same way for a long time. </p>

<p>"Is it really worth taking someone else's chance for your own bragging rights?"</p>

<p>They aren't lowering anyone else's chances... Some people must apply to a lot of schools due to a variety of reasons (financial, family, convenience, etc.). It is better to leave your options available to you, rather than not opening that door at all.</p>

<p>Also, applying to that many schools is not a "waist" of money. This is a decision that will affect you for the rest of your life and people should not make any rash decisions. And many others also get fee waivers (like myself) for applications, so it is not technically a "waist of money". </p>

<p>You say you only applied to schools that you would consider going to, but how do you know how many other schools another person is considering going to. Everybody is different, so don't judge people based on your standards.</p>

<p>Personally I think a lot of what might be called excessive applications is due to the media hype about how difficult it is to get in (particularly this year). It has generated a fear climate. This also plays out in the high schools who want their grads to go to "good" colleges so their profiles look good. Kids and parents panic and try to increase their odds incase. There seems to be no lack of horror stories about smart kids not getting in good places, which get bandied about.</p>

<p>You can take some comfort in the fact that anyone applying to 30 schools has had to spend roughly $3,000 for app fees only one of which matters. I am guessing the return on investment is relatively low.</p>