Why do people make assumptions...

<p>that when you're applying to an ivy like Dartmouth, you're applying just because it's an ivy? Out of the six schools I'm applying to, Dartmouth is by far my favorite. I'm afraid, however, to tell others I'm applying there because they assume that the only reason I want to go there is for the name. How do I convince these people that I want to go there for the school and not the name?</p>

<p>Er, I don't know where you live (I'm guessing Northeast) but a lot of the people in my school (inner-city public school in CA) can only name three Ivies--Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. Of course, they also think Stanford is an Ivy... </p>

<p>You could also just say that, "I'm applying to Dartmouth because I visited there and I really liked it." If you have visited... Or something about the curriculum, "I really like so-and-so about the curriculum," or, "They have a really program in music or whatever (I have no idea how their music program is!)"</p>

<p>Edit: "Or I really want a school that has trees and nature and is academically strong." There's definitely stuff you can say!</p>

<p>I live in the Midwest (Michigan). The problem is that everybody keeps reminding me how great uofm is and how it is financially affordable...etc...I am looking for a great music program, and the one at Dartmouth is pretty good (from what I've heard), but whenever I bring that up, people say the one at UofM is much better. Gah! I just like the environment and undergrad focus at Dartmouth so much better, but I don't know how to give specific examples to people that don't understand why I can't just stick with UofM.</p>

<p>People assume because there is an ASS between U **and **ME</p>

<p>^^
hahaha</p>

<p>Why does that matter? So what if your classmates think you're applying because it's an ivy? </p>

<p>If you end up at Dartmouth, who's really the loser?</p>

<p>:) true, true. I'm just wondering what to really say to them.</p>

<p>You don't have to say anything to them. If you don't want to explain why you are applying to Dartmouth, don't. When asked just say "I'm applying to (state school), (other school), (one more school), and perhaps a few others." Leave Dartmouth in the "few others" category and never mention it by name to them.</p>

<p>In my high school, applying to Dartmouth is not something that everyone does, even though it's an Ivy. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, Columbia, and Cornell however are usually the ones people apply to just cause they are Ivies.</p>

<p>Anyway, you shouldn't really care about what they think. The only thing that you should care about is whether you get in or not. Besides, you're not the only one amongst your friends applying to good colleges.</p>

<p>Good advice coureur. I find that's what I've been doing. I mention like 3 schools and then say "a few others." Some people are extremely nosy though. haha.</p>