Why don't International Students get a lot of fin aid or scholarship opportunities?

<p>My first question, why don't they?</p>

<p>My second question: I'm a rising sophomore international student living in the states. I've been living here since 1998. I'm under a dependent visa and both of my parents are right now applying for their green card. The reason it's taking this long is because both of them were actually grad students when they came here. They didn't start working until 2005. My question is, could I get the same financial aid that other students are getting? And could I apply for the same scholarships that they are eligible for too?</p>

<p>I mean like really. Aren't I a "special case"? My parents generally pay the same taxes as other students' families do. And me applying for financial aid wouldn't be any different than one of my friends applying for it. After all, both of our parents work here in the U.S.A., they pay the same taxes, and they follow the same rules. I could see how it would be different for a family from like China. But I don't understand this.</p>

<p>One scholarship I'm really anticipating is National Merit. EXCEPT, it's only for perm. residents and citizens. :(</p>

<p>Thanks in advance, btw</p>

<p>They have to draw basic distinctions: citizen, perm. resident. When your parents get their green cards, what will that make your status?</p>

<p>It would be impossible to administer a government aid program that considered where in the process a person was in gaining permanent resident status. And it could get even more unfair than it is now if the distinctions were more subtle.</p>

<p>Depending on your state, you might be eligible for in state rates at your state Us. </p>

<p>The general idea is that U.S. tax payers pay for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Unfortunately, you get stuck under this definition. However, federal money such as the pell grant isn't very much (~5k) and the pell grant is only for low income students. </p>

<p>Colleges can distribute institutional aid as they wish. You may be eligible for merit scholarships at some schools.</p>

<p>If you are included in the green card application, you should get yours when your parents get theirs. Talk to their lawyer (if they used one) and double-check the paperwork. </p>

<p>Until you are a permanent resident, NM and the related scholarships are out. However, you should take the PSAT in your junior year so that you will be eligible if your paperwork comes through in time.</p>

<p>Make an appointment with your guidance counselor to talk about your specific situation. If he/she has never worked with an international applicant before, ask him/her to put you in touch with another counselor who has. Money can be a big problem for students in your situation. </p>

<p>Wishing you all the best.</p>

Aren't I a "special case"?


<p>No, you are not a special case. There are probably thousands of students like you who have resided in the U.S. but do not have permanent resident status. </p>

<p>As pointed out, there are some states where international students without permanent status are given a break on the cost of college. California is one, and I think Texas may be another...for residents of those states. I'm not sure how this applies to students applying as OOS residents.</p>

<p>Re: why don't international students get a lot of scholarship opportunities....you would have to ask each college that question. International students are NOT eligible for federally funded need based aid because they are international students. Other scholarships are given by the schools using institutional funds and these are subject to the policies of each college. Some give aid to international students and some don't.</p>

My first question, why don't they?


<p>They have to draw a (financial aid) line somewhere, so most colleges exclude internationals. It's just budget policy, nothing personal. Or perhaps, it's more about college wealth. The handful of colleges that are both need-blind and provide full financial need to internationals are all well-endowed colleges, so they can afford it. OTOH, some rural liberal arts colleges are seeking internationals to add to their geographic diversity.</p>

<p>Or, look at it another way: does your home country provide a lot of scholarship opportunities for internationals?</p>

<p>i know that the green card process is often long and tedious, but if your parents are able to get green cards before your senior year, then you would be consider as a permanent resident (which qualifies you for scholarships & fed aid). </p>

<p>i dont know if this would work. but if really by the end of your junior year, you still have not receive your greencard (the application is still processing or whatnot), you can try contacting your local house of representative, and they might be able to help you track where your application is at that time and possibly even explain to the immigration officers your circumstances and your need to rush the application process. i dont know if this would work, but i have previously interned at a congressman's office, and i have helped a woman in an emergency situation with her green card application process. i think it is totally worth giving it a shot, im sure the staff of your representative (that represents your district in the house of representative) will do their best to help. :)</p>

<p>Also, this would only work if you are pretty far along the application process. If your parents' employer started helping them applying for green cards in 2005, then you have a pretty good chance!</p>

<p>Even though your parents work here, they may not pay taxes. There are tax treaties between U.S. and some countries so those countries' citizen do not need to pay taxes to U.S. Please check with your parents and check their tax returns. Maybe their tax return is just to get those withheld taxes back.</p>

<p>you can apply for NM scholarship if you are 485 pending. when you see your collegue from Taiwan gets his greencard within one year of filing 485 but you have to wait for 5 long years, you feel the system is not fair. but it is what it is, you have to acdept it. </p>

<p>As for asking for congressman for help, it wont do you much good unless your priority day is current .</p>

<p>Sophie, thanks for the help. And is it really true that I am considered a permanent resident when my parents get their green card? Because that would make things a whole lot easier. :)</p>

As for asking for congressman for help, it wont do you much good unless your priority day is current .


So I can't ask to rush the application?</p>

<p>If you were included in the paperwork that accompanied your parents' application, you should get our green card when they get theirs. Double-check the records to make sure.</p>

<p>Whether or not you can speed up the process is a question to take to a professional. If your parents did the work with an immigration lawyer, it is OK for them to get in touch with that person to find out the status of their application.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>